With the Philadelphia Eagles cutting their roster down to 53 players, there were newly available jersey numbers for the claiming. And some players were quick to pounce on the opportunity to update their look. An overview:
QB Gardner Minshew - No. 10
S Andre Chachere - No. 21
CB Josiah Scott - No. 33 (Injured reserve)
OL Landon Dickerson - No. 69
TE Jack Stoll - No. 89
DT Marlon Tuipulotu - No. 95
WR KeeSean Johnson - No. 17
OT Le’Raven Clark - No. 74
TE Nick Eubanks - No. 85
VERY IMPORTANT #JerseyNumberAnalytics ANALYSIS
- Dickerson going from No. 51 to No. 69 is the big story here. That’s a massively nice upgrade. Lock him in for a Hall of Fame career now. It works if he’s playing any offensive line spot, which he boasts the versatility to do.
- We previously noted that Minshew is now wearing No. 10 after wearing No. 15 with the Jacksonville Jaguars. No. 15 is retired for the Eagles, so he couldn’t take that, but he really should’ve forced the Eagles to give him No. 11. Carson Wentz’s jersey doesn’t need to be put on ice after he played poorly and wanted to leave.
- No. 21, previously worn by Andrew Adams, is a good get for Chachere. I’ll never not be able to think of Joselio Hanson wearing that number. Patrick Robinson as well, obviously.
- No. 46 is another number not great in a vacuum but I thought it worked for a short backup player like Scott. Can’t fault him for wanting to upgrade to No. 33. He wore No. 22 at Michigan State so he apparently likes the repeated number.
- Don’t love Stoll going from No. 47 to No. 89. The latter is arguably a better number in a vacuum but, I don’t know, I think 47 worked for Stoll. Not unlike how it worked for Trey Burton once upon a time. Stoll is on the smaller side for a tight end (relatively speaking) and a lower number fit that aesthetic. 89 is for a bulkier tight end in my mind. Stock down. Sorry, Jack.
- Tuipulotu going from No. 72 to No. 95 is a big upgrade for him. Typically been more of a DE or LB number for the Eagles in the past, though. Have to go back to Henry Slay in 1998 to find the last DT in 95. It’s a number that Mr. T doesn’t really deserve yet but the Eagles will hope he grows into it.
- The Eagles have now given out No. 17 to Michael Walker, Marken Michel and Johnson this year. Think they’re really missing Alshon Jeffery?
- Not totally unlike Dickerson, Clark going from No. 61 to No. 74 is a stock boost for him. I didn’t like how Luke Juriga previously had No. 74 as an interior offensive lineman. That’s a tackle’s number and now it’s back on one.
- Eubanks gets Dick Rod’s old number. Perhaps a sign the veteran won’t be back.
- Matt Leo is now listed at No. 66 on the Eagles’ roster page after previously wearing No. 64. But maybe that’s just a mistake? Because Ross Pierschbacher is also listed at No. 66. You probably don’t care about this at all, anyway.