The Philadelphia Eagles’ roster cuts are in and now you can find an (unofficial) depth chart below. Please note that the Eagles will likely continue to tweak their team over the next few days. For now, though, here’s your initial Eagles 53-man roster for the 2021 NFL season!
Quarterback (3) — Jalen Hurts, Joe Flacco, Gardner Minshew
Running back (3) — Miles Sanders, Boston Scott, Kenny Gainwell
Wide receiver (5) — DeVonta Smith, Quez Watkins, Jalen Reagor, Greg Ward, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside
Tight end (4) — Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert, Jack Stoll, Tyree Jackson
Offensive tackle (5) — Jordan Mailata, Lane Johnson, Jack Driscoll, Andre Dillard, Brett Toth
Offensive guard (3) — Brandon Brooks, Isaac Seumalo, Nate Herbig
Center (2) - Jason Kelce, Landon Dickerson
Defensive end (5) — Brandon Graham, Derek Barnett, Josh Sweat, Ryan Kerrigan, Tarron Jackson
Defensive tackle (4) — Fletcher Cox, Javon Hargrave, Milton Williams, Marlon Tuipulotu
Linebacker (7) — Eric Wilson, Alex Singleton, Davion Taylor, T.J. Edwards, Genard Avery, Shaun Bradley, Patrick Johnson
Cornerback (5) — Darius Slay, Steve Nelson, Avonte Maddox, Zech McPhearson, Josiah Scott
Safety (4) — Rodney McLeod, Anthony Harris, Marcus Epps, K’Von Wallace
Kicker (1) — Jake Elliott
Punter (1) — Arryn Siposs
Long snapper (1) — Rick Lovato
Out for the entire 2021 season.
S Blake Countess
TE Jason Croom
WR Michael Walker
The Eagles can start signing players to their 16-man practice squad starting on Wednesday.
- I’m proud of the Eagles for not keeping Jordan Howard on the original 53-man roster. Doing so would’ve made no sense since he’s not likely to be signed by another team. The Eagles can bring him back after they clear some roster spots if they really want to do so. In the meantime, they’ll roll with three running backs.
- Richard Rodgers is another candidate to return in the near future or after Week 1 in order to prevent his 2021 salary from being guaranteed as a vested vet. This assuming the Eagles still look to trade Zach Ertz.
- The Eagles could look to bring Le’Raven Clark back considering he outplayed Andre Dillard. But the Eagles might be in jeopardy of losing him with the Colts dealing with some offensive tackle injuries.
- Andrew Adams could potentially come back on the practice squad since the Eagles could use some extra safety depth.
- Tyree Jackson being kept on the roster confirms he’ll be eligible to return this season. Had the Eagles put him on IR before these cuts, he’d have been out for the season (like Countess now is). Correct decision not to shut him down for the year.
- Congratulations to Jack Stoll, the only Eagles UDFA signing to make the 53-man roster.
- Elijah Riley getting waived is a surprise. He provided depth at safety and looked good on special teams. Maybe the Eagles are thinking no one will claim him since he was recently banged up.
- Sua Opeta is a noteworthy waiving since he was on the roster bubble. The Eagles notably decided to keep extra tackle depth by rostering Brett Toth instead. Toth’s presence could signal a Dillard trade is eventually coming, as it should.
- JaCoby Stevens is the only pick from the Eagles’ 2021 NFL Draft class NOT to make the roster. The other eight rookies are on ... for now, at least. Philly will likely look to bring Stevens back on the practice squad.
- Marlon Tuipulotu’s roster spot could be in danger should the Eagles find an upgrade on waivers. Mr. T was really bad in the preseason so the bar there shouldn’t be too high. Or the team might just replace him with McGill after the vet is cleared to return from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- Tarron Jackson made the roster after being on the bubble. Had a strong showing in the final preseason game.
- The Eagles are keeping seven linebackers! For now, at least. It was previously reported they’re getting calls on some of them, which is surprising. Davion Taylor will go to IR to free up a roster spot in the interim so it’s really just six healthy ones.
- Genard Avery made the team for the second year in a row despite not looking amazing in camp and being hurt.
- Josiah Scott is yet another player on the bubble who made it.
- Not going to say it’s convenient for anyone to ever be on the COVID-19 list but this timing worked out favorably for the Eagles and McGill. They had a tough decision to make on him since he looked good in camp but he’s a vested vet and they might not want to keep him on the original 53.
- Kayode Awosika could be in jeopardy of being claimed. The Eagles will be happy if he makes it through waivers.
- John Hightower and Travis Fulgham just didn’t do enough to earn roster spots.
- Hopefully the Eagles can get Jason Huntley through to the practice squad.