We interrupt today’s NFL schedule reveal news to bring you some Philadelphia Eagles jersey number news! The team officially confirmed numbers for their 2021 NFL Draft class (still no word on UDFA signings) in addition to some veteran changes. Read on for an overview, followed by some very important thoughts.
WR DeVonta Smith - No. 6
C Landon Dickerson - No. 51
DT Milton Williams - No. 93
CB Zech McPhearson - No. 27
RB Kenny Gainwell - No. 14
DT Marlon Tuipulotu - No. 90
DE Tarron Jackson - No. 75
LB JaCoby Stevens - No. 30
LB Patrick Johnson - No. 48
CB Darius Slay - Going from 24 to No. 2
RB Jordan Howard - Going from No. 34 to No. 24
RB Kerryon Johnson - No. 34
WR Khalil Tate - Going from No. 6 to No. 17
S Eliah Riley - Going from No. 48 to No. 39
OG Isaac Seumalo - Going from No. 73 to No. 56
- We already wrote about how Smith wearing No. 6 puts him on a Hall of Fame trajectory. It was the obvious choice for The Slim Reaper.
- Don’t love No. 51 for Dickerson. Red flag. Bad get for him after previously wearing No. 69 at Alabama. He might try to get it back if/when Matt Pryor is cut. If he does, that’ll be a nice relief.
- No. 93 is strong for a third-round pick. Good job by Williams. (In case you forgot, Javon Hargrave switched to No. 97 with Malik Jackson leaving this offseason.)
- I was surprised to see the Eagles gave out No. 27, which was last worn by Malcolm Jenkins. They’ve been holding on to No. 25 (LeSean McCoy) and No. 87 (Brent Celek) but they can give out No. 27 after sitting out for one year? OK, then. In any case, nice get for Z McP.
- I’m conflicted about Gainwell wearing No. 14. On one hand, he’s a running back with pass-catching skills, making it appropriate that he’s wearing a receiver’s number. Just don’t love the aesthetic of No. 14, though. That being Riley Cooper’s old number certainly doesn’t help.
- No. 90 screams “rotational run defender” for Tuipulotu. Last five Eagles players to wear it: Bruce Hector, Treyvon Hester, Justin Hamilton, Marcus Smith, Clifton Geathers.
- Jackson getting No. 75 is a perfect fit. If he turns out to be the next Vinny Curry, he’ll be a great pick as a sixth-rounder.
- Not sure what to make of Stevens wearing No. 30. The Eagles listed him at linebacker but he played safety at LSU. No. 30 for a linebacker is weird. No. 30 for a safety is fine.
- Can’t say I love Johnson wearing No. 48 as a potential pass-rushing linebacker. More of a coverage linebacker number. He’s going to need to change if/when he gets the chance.
- We already talked about Slay switching to No. 2. Don’t love it. No. 24 was a good look.
- Howard is back in his original Eagles jersey number. Good for him. Might not have it for long, though, considering he isn’t a lock to make the team.
- Kerryon Johnson wore No. 33 on the Lions. He’s No. 34 in Philly. That’s fine for a back with third-down running back skills.
- The Eagles gave out Alshon Jeffery’s old No. 17 to a former college quarterback transitioning to wide receiver. Hmmmm.
- In a vacuum, No. 48 isn’t a great number. But I thought it worked for Riley. Nice nod to Wes Hopkins. Don’t love No. 39 as much on a safety. Stock down.
- Seumalo going to No. 56, which he wore at Oregon State, is interesting. Not a good guard number but it’s a more acceptable look if/when he’s eventually playing at center.
- Benjamin Solak and I won’t be doing our #JerseyNumberAnalytics podcast for BGN Radio tonight with BGN’s focus mainly on the NFL schedule release. Plus I kinda wanna wait for the UDFA numbers to be revealed. So, please bear with us for a bit! The wait will be worth it. :)