In the latest BGN Radio podcast, Jimmy Kempski and I try ... and fail ... to make sense of the Philadelphia Eagles signing Joe Flacco for $3.5 million guaranteed. We pretend we’re in court and counter the following rebuttals in defense of the move:
- But he’s going to be a mentor!
- He only got 1.5 million last year because he was coming off herniated disk surgery. He’s more betterer now!
- Who would you have signed instead?
- They’re not going to draft a quarterback at 6th overall now (viewed as a positive for the “we don’t want a QB at 6th overall” crowd).
- It’s only one year. There’s no long-term commitment!
- Why is everyone crying over a couple of million dollars?
- If he has to play, they’ll tank!
- He’s a local guy!
- “It’s not your money!”
And for those who think too much is being made of this signing, please understand the criticism isn’t limited to the scope of this one deal. As Jimmy put it:
“In a vacuum, not a franchise-crippling move like some others over the last few offseasons, but the logic of it just doesn’t make any sense for a team that has already acknowledged won’t be competitive in 2021. It’s another nonsensical move to throw on the pile.”
In addition to Flacco, we also touched on some remaining free agent targets for the Eagles. And the discourse around being “too negative” about the team. Check out all that and more by either [CLICKING HERE] or using the embedded player below:
SUBSCRIBE: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS
Don’t forget to use promo code BGN15 to get 15% off snacks at www.righteousfelon.com!
Support the pod: If you enjoy BGN Radio, please consider leaving a 5-star RATING and REVIEW on Apple podcast. It doesn’t take long and it helps us reach more Eagles fans in the world!
Up next: More Eagles offseason coverage is coming your way!
Make sure you subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, follow @BGN_Radio on Twitter.
BONUS: Shamus Clancy also had some things to say about the Flacco signing on From the Bleachers.
BONUS BONUS: Rob “Stats” Guerrera and I discussed Frank Reich’s misplaced (?) faith in Carson Wentz, the New York Giants’ potential improvement, DeVonta Smith, and much more in this week’s episode of The ODDcast on The SB Nation NFL Show.