one week 10 days since the Philadelphia Eagles fired Doug Pederson. The team has shown interest in approximately eleventy billion candidates since then ... but it sounds like the search is narrowing down and could end soon.
It appears Eagles coaching search is winding down— John Clark (@JClarkNBCS) January 21, 2021
Getting the feeling Eagles could have their new head coach by the weekend if everything works out pic.twitter.com/aq4iCKo2c7
My sense is #Eagles HC decision comes down to Nick Sirianni vs. Josh McDaniels.— Geoff Mosher (@GeoffMosherNFL) January 21, 2021
How one league source described Sirianni to me: "[People] I know speak highly of him. Like Doug, in terms of players really liking him. Got more edge than Doug though. Can coach hard if he needs to."
Some thoughts on each rumored candidate.
NICK SIRIANNI - INDIANAPOLIS COLTS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR
- Isn’t Josh McDaniels.
- Seems like a personable, likable guy based on some videos the Colts have put out. Emotional intelligence!
- Relatively young in head coaching terms, only turns 40 in June. But hardly inexperienced. Has been coaching since 2004 and in the NFL since 2009. Bit of a diverse background thanks to coaching wide receivers, quarterbacks, and being an offensive coordinator. Hasn’t been a play-caller, though.
- Contributed to Colts offenses that ranked 10th (Andrew Luck), 19th (Jacoby Brissett), and 12th (Philip Rivers) in DVOA. Can bring some of Frank Reich’s influence back to Philly. Carson Wentz would probably like that.
- In terms of passer rating, Rivers had two of his most average seasons when Sirianni was his quarterbacks coach in San Diego. Not sure if he’s the guy to magically fix Wentz, though I guess it’s good to hear that he “can coach hard if he needs to.”
- Tyrell Williams had his best season when Sirianni was his wide receivers coach in 2016. Ditto for Keenan Allen in 2017.
JOSH MCDANIELS - NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR
- Many red flags: Backing out of the Colts’ head coaching job, Denver cheating scandal, alienating Broncos starting quarterback Jay Cutler, seeking personnel power and then using it poorly (traded up to draft Tim Tebow!), lacking emotional intelligence.
- Has head coaching experience and might now know what NOT to do? May have matured a lot since flaming out with the Broncos 11 years ago. Turns 45 years old in April.
- Has been the play-caller for some very good offenses with the New England Patriots. Tough to parse how much credit he deserves for that when working with the greatest quarterback of all-time.
- Wouldn’t be afraid to coach Wentz hard.
- Howie Roseman might have unique insight (market inefficiency?!) on McDaniels due to the Jedd Fisch connection. Roseman’s college roommate coached with McDaniels on New England’s staff last year.
- Made some good hires in Indy before bailing. There’s a sense he could put a good coaching staff together.
Sirianni is less objectionable but McDaniels might have the higher upside. The disaster potential with McDaniels makes it hard for me to be on board with him. What say you?
Who should the Eagles hire to be their head coach?
This poll is closed