Doug Pederson is expected to return as head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2021, according to a report from ESPN.
Here’s the exact wording from Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen:
Coach Doug Pederson is expected to return to the Philadelphia Eagles next season, though he does have a meeting scheduled for Tuesday with owner Jeffrey Lurie to discuss plans for the 2021 season [...] Lurie was said to be unhappy with the team’s results, sources told ESPN, but the Eagles have been more competitive down the stretch, with rookie quarterback Jalen Hurts igniting a spark. [...] There will be changes in Pederson’s coaching staff, sources told ESPN. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is on an expiring contact and is not expected to return, sources said.
- Interesting to see the caveat (?) about Pederson’s upcoming meeting with Lurie included in here. So, like, he’s the head coach unless he totally bombs that discussion?
- This report falls in line with Pederson’s recent displayed confidence that he’ll be back in 2021.
- I’ve been saying that it would be pathetic for the Eagles to make Pederson the scapegoat for everything that went wrong in 2020. So, good to see that won’t be happening. But bad to see that this team won’t be cleaning house like they so direly need to do. Looks like they’re about to run it back with Howie Roseman and Pederson as two of the team’s biggest pillars.
- This development seems like bad news for Carson Wentz? The Eagles can’t possibly run it back with both Pederson AND Wentz ... can they?
- Interesting to read that note about the Eagles looking more competitive down the stretch with Hurts. Seems like a nod in his favor moving forward.
- The Eagles forced offensive coaching staff changes on Pederson last year. Are they going to make him give up his play-calling duties and aim to hire a true offensive coordinator this year? Is Pederson going to get an expanded role in personnel? Lots of questions to be answered.
Do you want Doug Pederson as the Eagles’ head coach in 2021?
This poll is closed