Of course, it must be noted that the depth chart is compiled by the Eagles media relations department and NOT the team’s coaching staff. But that won’t stop us from making sharing some observations.
QUARTERBACK: Carson Wentz, Nate Sudfeld, Jalen Hurts
RUNNING BACK: Miles Sanders, Boston Scott, Corey Clement, Jason Huntley
WIDE RECEIVER: Alshon Jeffery, Jalen Reagor
WIDE RECEIVER: DeSean Jackson, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, John Hightower
WIDE RECEIVER: Greg Ward
TIGHT END: Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert
LEFT TACKLE: Jason Peters, Jordan Mailata
LEFT GUARD: Isaac Seumalo, Nate Herbig
CENTER: Jason Kelce, Nate Herbig
RIGHT GUARD: Matt Pryor, Nate Herbig
RIGHT TACKLE: Lane Johnson, Jack Driscoll
DEFENSIVE END: Derek Barnett, Josh Sweat, Genard Avery
DEFENSIVE TACKLE: Javon Hargrave/Malik Jackson
DEFENSIVE TACKLE: Fletcher Cox, Hassan Ridgeway
DEFENSIVE END: Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry, Casey Toohill
OUTSIDE LINEBACKER: Nathan Gerry, Alex Singleton
MIDDLE LINEBACKER: T.J. Edwards, Shaun Bradley
OUTSIDE LINEBACKER: Duke Riley, Davion Taylor
CORNERBACK: Avonte Maddox, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Cre’Von LeBlanc
CORNERBACK: Darius Slay, Craig James
SAFETY: Rodney McLeod, K’Von Wallace
SAFETY: Jalen Mills, Marcus Epps, Rudy Ford
PUNT RETURNER: Jalen Reagor, Greg Ward, DeSean Jackson
KICK RETURNER: Boston Scott, John Hightower, Jason Huntley
PUNTER: Cameron Johnston
KICKER: Jake Elliott
LONG SNAPPER: Rick Lovato
HOLDER: Cameron Johnston
- Sudfeld is notably ahead of Hurts as the No. 2 quarterback. Not a surprise but there’s some more confirmation.
- New backfield member Jason Huntley is wearing the No. 32 jersey, which was previously held by Rasul Douglas. Last running back to wear No. 32? Chris Polk. He was a walking
- Jeffery, Jackson, and Ward (in the slot) are the listed starters at receiver. But with Jeffery and Reagor expected to miss time, we’ll at least temporarily see JJAW in the starting lineup. The second-year player had a good camp.
- Mailata being the top backup behind Peters, who is bound to miss some snaps, is dicey. Eagles should really sign Cordy Glenn.
- Pryor is listed as the starting right guard with Peters moving back to tackle. Not unexpected but Doug Pederson passed on officially committing to Pryor on Monday. But, yeah, he’s probably the guy there.
- Herbig is listed as the top backup interior offensive lineman but I think it would be Seumalo moving to center if anything happened to Kelce. God forbid.
- Avery is a fifth defensive end at best. Great trade.
- Hargrave and Jackson are listed as co-starters. Makes sense with how much they’ll be rotating but clearly the team didn’t want to put one ahead of the other.
- Regardless of how they’re listed, Gerry will see the most playing time at linebacker.
- Slay and Maddox are the starting outside corner with NRC serving in the slot. Jim Schwartz said the Eagles now have comfort playing Strap either inside or out as a backup.
- People might expect Wallace to be the No. 3 safety with Will Parks hurt but I think it’s going to be Epps. Schwartz was really talking him up and even called him by nickname: “Eppsy.”
- Epps switched from wearing No. 37 to No. 22, formerly worn by Sidney Jones. Huge upgrade for him. #JerseyNumberAnalytics.
- Reagor will at least miss Week 1. It looks like Ward will be returning punt in his absence.
- Scott is listed as the primary kick returner but I suspect we might eventually see Huntley overtake him in that role. Huntley was a good kick returner in college.
- Anything else jump out at you?