The Philadelphia Eagles officially announced five roster moves on Friday afternoon in order to trim the roster down to 63 players. The Eagles still must get down to 53 players prior to the 4:00 PM Eastern deadline on Saturday, September 5. Read on for an overview of the latest news.
The following players are subject to waivers:
CB Michael Jacquet
TE Caleb Wilson
DE Matt Leo*
The following five players were not “waived” because they’re vested veterans and are now free to sign with any team:
CB Trevor Williams
DT T.Y. McGill
- No real surprises here. The Williams and McGill releases were reported earlier today. Think it’s possible we could see Williams brought back on the practice squad.
- Jacquet drew praise from Doug Pederson at one point during camp and BGN’s Benjamin Solak has heard the team likes his potential. Practice squad candidate.
- Wilson could also return on the practice squad. The Eagles waiving him leaves Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert, and undrafted rookie free agent Noah Togiai as the only three tight ends on the roster. Looks like Togiai will stick as the third guy. That rhymes.
- Leo didn’t count towards the Eagles’ 80-man roster since he’s taking part in the NFL’s International Player Pathway Program. The Eagles can bring him back on their practice squad with an exemption; he won’t count towards the 16-player limit. Just an extra practice body to have at defensive end. And maybe he can push for a roster spot in 2021.
- The Eagles can place Brandon Brooks and Alshon Jeffery on reserve/physically unable to perform to get down to 61 players. They’d need just eight more moves from that point.
Stay tuned for more Eagles news and updates by following along with BGN’s EAGLES ROSTER CUTS TRACKER — [CLICK HERE].