It turns out everybody that was hitting the panic button after Lane Johnson was declared inactive was right. They weren’t right at first, as the Philadelphia Eagles jumped out to an easy 17-0 lead despite obvious issues on the offensive line. 27 unanswered points later, and I’m not going to lie to you, I’m a bit unnerved.
On The Kist & Solak Show #192 we went through the highs and lows to bring you our weekly reaction to the action.
Some of the topics covered include:
- According to NextGenStats, Carson Wentz’s xCOMP differential of -10.3% is the second worst of the Week 1 slate so far, only behind... wait for it... Dwayne Haskins. Simply put, Wentz went from pinpoint to scattershot within a snap and the drop off was jarring and sustained. The Eagles went as Wentz went, and the score reflected his dizzying peaks and horrifying valleys.
- The 8 sacks given up by the offensive line is the most in a single game since 2007. Faced with constant pressure, Wentz reverted to hero ball but lacked the cape to pull it off consistently. The Eagles offensive think tank exacerbated the problem by failing to provide Wentz with moving pockets and continually having him turn his back to pass rush with play-action from under center. So much for “Letting the Bronco Buck.”
- All five Washington scoring drives started in Philadelphia territory. The defense faded as the game went on, allowing a subpar offense to chew them up, but they were continually put in poor spots by the offense.
- The shift to safety won’t save Jalen Mills unless he cleans up the miscommunications and mental errors. Or maybe it doesn’t matter; we all know Jim Schwartz can’t quit him.
- The Eagles punted for the future with their 2nd and 3rd round picks in the 2020 NFL Draft. Davion Taylor played in 0 defensive snaps and Jalen Hurts didn’t even dress. They sure could’ve used better depth in this one.
- THREE WORDS from the gentle listeners... Is Howie Roseman inching towards the hot seat? How long until a big media voice calls for Hurts to get some burn? And more thoughts from the peanut gallery.
Look, I know how you feel.. take your time with this one. When you’re ready, join us on The Kist & Solak Show #192. For the brave souls that are ready to face the music now, listen on the media player below or click here if the player doesn’t load. New to podcasts?! Check out our guide on how to listen and subscribe to BGN! FLY EAGLES FLY (please)!
BIG MAD— BGN Radio (@BGN_Radio) September 13, 2020
The Kist & Solak Show #192 w/@MichaelKistNFL & @BenjaminSolak!
The gang reacts to a stunning upset w/thoughts on Wentz's day, the OL problem, the new look defense & Three Words from the listeners!