Now that Bleeding Green Nation’s training camp position preview series is over, let’s look back at the confidence poll results. Here’s a ranking of the groups that Philadelphia Eagles fans feel most confident in:
1 - Tight end
2 - Defensive tackle
3 - Quarterback
4 - Running back
5 - Special teams
6 - Offensive line
7 - Cornerback
8 - Defensive end
9 - Safety
10 - Wide receiver
11 - Linebacker
- Not surprising to see tight end finish first for the second year in a row. No reason not to be confident in the Zach Ertz and Dallas Goedert duo.
- Fans are feeling good about the Eagles’ big investment in the defensive tackle trio of Fletcher Cox, Javon Hargrave, and Malik Jackson. The team is paying for elite production there.
- Quarterback only finished fifth on last year’s list. Carson Wentz’s 2019 finish and the Jalen Hurts addition have fans feeling more confident this year.
- Fans are feeling great about Miles Sanders but there are still some questions about the depth behind him.
- Check out special teams making a top five finish. Jalen Reagor returning punts could give the Eagles a boost.
- The offensive line poll was posted a day before the Eagles re-signed Jason Peters. I’d imagine confidence has increased in that area, though there are obviously still question marks. Can Andre Dillard prove himself at left tackle? Can Peters effectively play right guard?
- Cornerback improved from ninth last year to seventh last year. Getting Darius Slay was big. It’s just a matter of if the Eagles can find an answer across from him. I’m bullish on Avonte Maddox while others clearly still believe in Sidney Jones.
- Defensive end was actually 10th out of 11 spots last year. Fans hardly view it as a weakness right now but they’re expecting it to be closer to average than truly elite. The sense here is that the Eagles are counting on their defensive tackles to make life easier on their edge guys.
- Safety only dropped from eighth to ninth despite losing Malcolm Jenkins.
- Wide receiver was third going into last year. Whoops! It’s now 10th after the Eagles entered the offseason with the position being their most obvious roster hole. There are still a lot of questions to answer at that spot.
- Linebacker is dead last for the second year in a row. The Eagles clearly just don’t value that position as highly as other ones.
- Aside from maybe linebacker, though, there isn’t one position that fans are really freaking out about.
- Here’s a position-by-position recap of the series in case you missed them: Quarterback | Running back | Wide receiver | Tight end | Offensive line | Defensive end | Defensive tackle | Linebacker | Cornerback | Safety | Special teams.
- See below for the poll results of each position.