Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU
With the 28th pick in the 2020 BGN Community Mock Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select Justin Jefferson. Jefferson is a name I’m sure Eagles fans are quite familiar with as he is the favorite to be their pick at 21. He is a polarizing pick among fans as his detractors will point to his production coming from the slot, the talent around him at LSU, lack of separation on routes, and for not being the most explosive athlete. I think his concerns are being overblown and that Jefferson is one of the safest picks in the draft with a very high floor, albeit a lower ceiling than others.
Jefferson took nearly all of his snaps from the slot last year. His stats; 111 catches, 1540 yards, 18 touchdowns. He feasts in the middle of the field and will instantly impact a teams horizontal passing game and in the red zone. This may be why a lot of hate has formed for Jefferson from BGN readers as the Eagles’ horizontal passing game and red zone offense was not the issue. The Eagles have a dire need for speed on the offense and Jefferson is not the perfect solution to provide that on the outside. However, he’d be a fantastic option for Carson Wentz on third down and would instantly upgrade what the Eagles currently have at receiver. A starting lineup of D-Jax, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, and Jefferson would be an adequate combination with differing skill sets. Also, Jefferson is the most pro ready receiver which should be a priority given how poorly JJAW played last year.
Speaking of JJ, I think the Eagles’ need for outside receiver (not slot) help is a bit overblown. When the Eagles offense was at its best in 2017 it wasn’t as if the Eagles’ wide receivers were putting up monster stats. Alshon “anonymous source” Jeffery and Nelson “no hands” Agholor were the two leading wide receivers with both putting up a little under 800 yards over a full season. That equates to about 50 a game, not a ton of production. Their third receiver, Torrey Smith, was rather ineffective all year although he’ll be remembered fondly forever due to a mind boggling flea flicker touchdown against Minnesota. The point is the Eagles do not operate like other NFL offenses that feed their #1 wideout. They like to spread the ball out and attack you through the air with their tight ends and running backs as well. I think this is the main reason you didn’t see them make a blockbuster trade for a wideout this offseason. I think any bonafide #1 wideout would be unhappy with the number of looks they’d get in Philly, obviously their last #1 WR was (allegedly).
I’m not drafting for the Eagles, however, as I’m the honorary Ravens GM. I’m not going to pretend to be an expert on what the Ravens need in the draft, however a quick Google search has them needing edge rushers, D-lineman, linebackers, interior O-line and running back. Queen and Murray being off the board was a bummer and I think the Ravens are a logical trade up candidate to secure one of those two. Gross-Matos or Epensea would’ve been fine picks here as well but alas neither were available. I’m not a big believer in drafting a running back in the first round and think you can find others to complement the ones you have now later in the draft. Interior O lineman can be addressed later as well.
Jefferson would be another young receiver to provide Jackson to grow with. He’d be a fantastic fit with Miles Boykin and Hollywood Brown already there at receiver and would also help alleviate coverage from there exceptional tight ends Mark Andrews and Nick Boyle (fun personal fact: Boyle’s father is my dentist). The Ravens are a run first team which may make this pick seem unnecessary. When defenses figure out how to limit Lamar Jackson he’ll be forced to throw more. It’d be nice to provide him with the weapons to do so effectively. Jefferson is a perfect ravens pick too as he falls under the old Ozzie Newsome draft philosophy of production versus potential (something the eagles used under Joe Douglas as well).
In conclusion, Jefferson won’t make it to pick 28 come draft day, but if he did, I’m sure the Ravens would have interest. He’s a great fit for them and also possibly the Eagles. Thanks for making it this far and if you’re still reading, stay safe, and most of all, fly Eagles fly.
Do you approve of this pick?
This poll is closed
2020 BGN Mock Draft Order
1) Bengals (grantspectations): QB Joe Burrow
2) Washington (ablesser88): EDGE Chase Young
3) Lions (CMG97): CB Jeff Okudah
4) Giants (selgae aihpledalihp): LB Isaiah Simmons
5) Dolphins (dceagles): WR CeeDee Lamb
6) Chargers (dapeltz13): QB Tua Tagovailoa
7) Panthers (wardbell92): DT Derrick Brown
8) Cardinals (drc242): OT Mekhi Becton
9) Jaguars (Palaniappan K M): OT Tristan Wirfs
10) Browns (WentzAndFolesFan): WR Jerry Jeudy
11) Jets (Dr_Horrible): OT Jedrick Wills
12) Raiders (Phillysolo): WR Henry Ruggs III
13) 49ers (eagles0132): OT Andrew Thomas
14) Buccaneers (BuckeyedEagles): DT Javon Kinlaw
15) Broncos (J. Wil): S Xavier McKinney
16) Falcons (Kephas): EDGE A.J. Epenesa
17) Cowboys (PhillyBirdGang): S Grant Delpit
18) Dolphins (dshelton5): QB Justin Herbert
19) Raiders (fredhugo): CB Kristian Fulton
20) Jaguars (ItownBallers22): EDGE K’Lavon Chaisson
21) Eagles (20Safety_Hazards): CB C.J. Henderson
22) Vikings (SadJediShark): CB Jeff Gladney
23) Patriots (Phoenix X Minimus): LB Kenneth Murray
24) Saints (big DUB): LB Patrick Queen
25) Vikings (MrW254): EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos
26) Dolphins (SemperFilly): RB D’Andre Swift
27) Seahawks (mattywils): OT Josh Jones
28) Ravens (Dirtybirdy47): WR Justin Jefferson
29) Titans (mr_england):
30) Packers (Nishant R SambhiReddy):
31) 49ers (Fly Like An Eagle):
32) Chiefs (Leo Bedio):
Now it’s time for you to vote for who YOU think the Ravens should pick in the 2020 BGN Community Consensus Mock Draft.
Who should the Ravens pick at No. 28?
This poll is closed
2020 BGN Community Consensus Mock Draft
1) Bengals: QB Joe Burrow
2) Washington: EDGE Chase Young
3) Lions: CB Jeff Okudah
4) Giants: LB Isaiah Simmons
5) Dolphins: QB Tua Tagovailoa
6) Chargers: QB Justin Herbert
7) Panthers: DT Derrick Brown
8) Cardinals: OT Mekhi Becton
9) Jaguars: OT Tristan Wirfs
10) Browns: OT Andrew Thomas
11) Jets: OT Jedrick Wills
12) Raiders: WR CeeDee Lamb
13) 49ers: WR Jerry Jeudy
14) Buccaneers: DT Javon Kinlaw
15) Broncos: WR Henry Ruggs III
16) Falcons: EDGE A.J. Epenesa
17) Cowboys: CB C.J. Henderson
18) Dolphins: OT Josh Jones
19) Raiders: CB Kristian Fulton
20) Jaguars: EDGE K’Lavon Chaisson
21) Eagles: WR Justin Jefferson
22) Vikings: CB Jeff Gladney
23) Patriots: QB Jordan Love
24) Saints: LB Patrick Queen
25) Vikings: WR Denzel Mims
26) Dolphins: S Xavier McKinney
27) Seahawks: EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos