Heading into Week 14, my rooting interest in the Philadelphia Eagles was simple. I thought they’d be best served to lose out and get as high of a draft pick as possible. Had they lost to the New Orleans Saints, they’d currently be picking No. 4 overall in the 2021 NFL Draft.
But the Eagles won on Sunday and that complicates things. They’ve fallen to No. 9 in the draft order while still having a chance to win the NFC East. What should Eagles fans be rooting for now?
The feeling here is that it’s still in the Eagles’ best long-term interest to lose out, get as high of a pick as possible, and clean house to start anew. But the Jalen Hurts factor is interesting because having a good quarterback matters more than anything in the NFL. If the Eagles make the playoffs with him leading the way, that could be more valuable than a high pick. And it could be nice for Doug Pederson to avoid being scapegoated! But it would be bad to see Hurts save Howie Roseman’s job, which might not actually be in jeopardy anyway.
So, much like a middle school relationship on Facebook, it’s complicated.
Jimmy Kempski and I discussed this topic and much more in the latest BGN Radio podcast. You can [CLICK HERE TO LISTEN] or stream the latest episode below:
FIRST IMPRESSION OF JALEN HURTS
- What did we learn from Hurts’ first NFL start?
- What to make of Doug Pederson’s reluctant to praise Hurts
- What does it say that Doug is now 11-2 without Carson Wentz?
- Are you feeling “out” on Wentz?
OTHER EAGLES STUFF
- Impact of Rodney McLeod injury in the short-term and the long-term
- The silver lining of McLeod getting hurt
- Yet ANOTHER change to the Eagles’ offensive line
- What should Eagles fans be rooting for the rest of this season?
Which are you rooting for: Eagles making the playoffs or getting a better draft pick?
This poll is closed
Making the playoffs
Getting a better draft pick
NFL PICKS AGAINST THE SPREAD AND EAGLES VS. CARDINALS PREVIEW
- NFC East PATS record — BLG: 22-21, Jimmy 22-21
- Eagles straight up pick records — BLG: 8-5, Jimmy: 7-5-1
- Seahawks (-5.5) at Washington
- 49ers (-3.5) at Cowboys
- Browns (-4.5) at Giants
- Eagles at Cardinals (-6.5)
Don’t forget to use promo code BGN15 to get 15% off snacks at www.righteousfelon.com! Perfect option for something to munch on during the games. Or give as a holiday gift!
Support the pod: If you enjoy BGN Radio, please consider leaving a 5-star RATING and REVIEW on Apple podcast. It doesn’t take long and it helps us reach more Eagles fans in the world!
Up next: More Eagles coverage is coming your way with The Kist & Solak Show.
Make sure you subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, follow @BGN_Radio on Twitter.
Check out the weekly national NFL podcast I’m doing: The ODDcast!