You might not want to hear this but the reality is that the Philadelphia Eagles’ loss to the Seattle Seahawks was a good thing. It might sting in the short-term but it’s in the Birds’ best interest to keep losing games. Jeffrey Lurie needs to be prompted to clean house. The Eagles also stand to benefit from having a very high pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.
On that note, the Eagles are now slated to pick at No. 6 overall. Here’s an updated look at the non-playoff team order via Tankathon:
And here’s a look at the remaining schedules for the Eagles and all of the teams ahead of them in the tank standings:
Remaining schedules for the Eagles’ tanking competition
|Week 13||at Packers (8-3)||vs. Patriots (5-6)||at Ravens (6-4)||at Dolphins (7-4)||at Vikings (5-6)||vs. Raiders (6-5)|
|Week 14||vs. Saints (9-2)||vs. Falcons (4-7)||at Bengals (2-8-1)||vs. Cowboys (3-8)||vs. Titans (8-3)||at Seahawks (8-3)|
|Week 15||at Cardinals (6-5)||at Raiders (6-5)||vs. 49ers (5-6)||vs. Steelers (10-0)||at Ravens (6-4)||at Rams (7-4)|
|Week 16||at Cowboys (3-8)||vs. Broncos (4-7)||vs. Eagles (3-7-1)||at Texans (4-7)||vs. Bears (5-6)||vs. Browns (8-3)|
|Week 17||vs. Football Team (4-7)||at Chiefs (10-1)||at Giants (4-7)||vs. Ravens (6-4)||at Colts (7-4)||at Patriots (5-6)|
- The Eagles aren’t getting a top two pick. The Jets and Jaguars simply aren’t going to be able to win enough to make that happen.
- The Eagles CAN realistically get as high as No. 3 overall. They need to lose out and see the Joe Burrow-less Bengals pick up a win somehow. Philly has a strength of schedule tiebreaker over Cincy if their records end up being the same.
- Getting No. 3 would mean the Eagles would have their pick of the top non-quarterback ... or the third quarterback.
- Need the Eagles to finish higher than the Cowboys. That Week 16 game against Dallas is a must-lose.
- I think Justin Herbert is good enough to get the Chargers at least one win and maybe even two.
- Let’s simmer down with this “It doesn’t matter where the Eagles pick, they’ll blow it anyway” stuff. I mean, I get it. That might be true. But the hope is there will be a new general manager making the selection.
If you’re some kinda sicko who actually still cares about the Eagles winning the NFC East (seriously, what’s wrong with you?), this section is included for you. A look at the updated division standings:
The Eagles’ playoff odds dropped down to 18.8% by Football Outsiders’ metrics. The Giants have the best chance but methinks Washington is going to win, especially with Daniel Jones now expected to miss some time due to injury.
Remaining NFC East schedules
|Week 13||at Packers (8-3)||at Ravens (6-4)||at Seahawks (8-3)||at Steelers (10-0)|
|Week 14||vs. Saints (9-2)||at Bengals (2-8-1)||vs. Cardinals (6-5)||vs. 49ers (5-6)|
|Week 15||at Cardinals (6-5)||vs. 49ers (5-6)||vs. Browns (8-3)||at Seahawks (8-3)|
|Week 16||at Cowboys (3-8)||vs. Eagles (3-7-1)||at Ravens (6-4)||vs. Panthers (4-8)|
|Week 17||vs. Football Team (4-7)||at Giants (4-7)||vs. Cowboys (3-8)||at Eagles (3-7-1)|