We’re only one day away from the Philadelphia Eagles (1-2-1) in-state showdown with the Pittsburgh Steelers (3-0), let’s get you caught up with some BGN programming and drop some key analytics that could impact this game.
- Ben Roethlisberger ranks 33rd of 34 quarterbacks in play-action frequency (per PFF, min. 20% snaps). That’s a good thing for the Eagles, who were torched by Jared Goff and Joe Burrow on those concepts this year.
Eagles defense vs. no play-action: 63% completion, 6.5 yards per attempt, 89.8 passer rating
Eagles defense vs. play-action: 73% completion, 8.7 yards per attempt, 115.7 passer rating
If the Steelers work more from under center to take advantage of a clear weakness for the Eagles is something to track.
- Roethlisberger’s time-to-throw ranks 3rd fastest in the league at a blistering 2.28 seconds. The quick game has been much more efficient and productive for the Steelers than the deep ball with Roethlisberger only completing 3 passes over 20 yards in the air. Should the Eagles roll up their coverage until the Steelers prove they can hit a shot? Ask Jim Schwartz...
- The Steelers defense is tops in the league for both pressure rate (46.5%) and blitz rate (51.2%). Conversely, the Eagles are 2nd in turnover frequency and allow 5.8 sacks + turnovers per game, a league high. They were +2 in the turnover battle against the 49ers and much do the same to have a chance against Pittsburgh.
- How can the Eagles survive Blitzburgh? The Eagles might have to get creative, perhaps even a little “too cute” in their opening script to for the Steelers to think rather than attack. We detailed more of what that could mean in The QB Factory #13 with a special shout out to Scythian horse archers.
- Creative game-planning will only go so far, and the biggest test of tests will come on Carson Wentz’s blindside. Bud Dupree is tied 7th in pressures among EDGE defenders with 17 despite only playing three games. Jordan Mailata is off to a hot start after only allowing 2 total pressures in 56 pass block snaps.
We dig deeper into this matchup on The Kist & Solak Show #199! Listen on the media player below or click here if the player doesn’t load. New to podcasts?! Check out our guide on how to listen and subscribe to BGN! FLY EAGLES FLY!