The final game of the 2019 NFL season takes place this Sunday when the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers face off in Super Bowl LIV.
But football isn’t going away entirely. The XFL is back and the 2020 season officially begins on Saturday, February 8.
For a primer on what exactly the XFL is all about, you can click here. For rules and games and dates and such, you can click here.
Trying to decide on which team to support? Perhaps this list of former Philadelphia Eagles players on XFL rosters will help guide your rooting interest.
WR DeAndre Thompkins
RB Donnel Pumphrey
C Jon Toth
OT Malcolm Bunche
DT Elijah Qualls
Unsigned draft picks: WR Rashard Davis, S Tre Sullivan
- Thompkins, a Penn State alumnus, was a 2019 UDFA signing.
- The Eagles traded up for Pump — the NCAA’s all-time leading rusher (technically) — in the fourth round of the 2017 NFL Draft but he never logged a regular season NFL snap. Can the 25-year-old actually show some ability and stay healthy in the XFL?
- Toth was a former practice squad and offseason roster member.
- Bunche was a 2015 UDFA signing.
- Qualls was the Eagles’ sixth-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft and was on the 53-man roster (though inactive) for Super Bowl LII.
- Davis, a former practice squad member, was actually the No. 1 overall pick in the XFL’s skill player round! He signed with the Tennessee Titans towards the end of the regular season, though, so he’s back in the NFL for now. The Defenders hold his rights if he returns to the XFL.
- Sullivan was a 2017 UDFA signing that was on the Eagles’ roster as recently as August 2019.
S Trae Elston
CB Ajene Harris
RB De’Angelo Henderson
OT Toby Weathersby
DT Gabe Wright
- Elston was briefly on the Eagles’ roster in 2017. The team re-signed him during the 2019 offseason.
- Harris is a 2019 UDFA who spent some time on the Eagles’ offseason roster and practice squad.
- Henderson signed to the Eagles’ practice squad during the 2019 season. He was one of only two final practice squad members to not sign a futures deal with the Eagles.
- Weathersby was a 2018 UDFA signing.
- Wright spent time on the Eagles’ 2017 offseason roster.
ST. LOUIS BATTLEHAWKS
WR Carlton Agudosi
RB Matt Jones
DB Harold Jones-Quartey
DB Jay Liggins
Unsigned draft pick: OG Dallas Thomas
- The Eagles signed Agudosi, a Rutgers alumnus, to a futures contract last offseason. The 6-6, 220 pound pass catcher was an effective target during red zone drills in training camp practices. He didn’t make the final roster, however. Could be a fun guy to watch.
- The Eagles signed Jones (likely due to Scot McCloughan’s recommendation) during the 2018 offseason. He competed for a fourth running back spot but lost out to Wendell Smallwood.
- HJQ was on the Eagles’ practice squad during the Super Bowl season. I bet you didn’t know that.
- Liggins (full first name: Jamalcolm) was a 2019 UDFA signing out of NAIA school Dickinson State University.
- Thomas was a 2013 third-round pick who spent some time on Philly’s offseason roster in 2017.
WR Freddie Martino
CB Josh Hawkins
LB Asantay Brown
DE Winston Craig
- Dallas Sucks.
- Martino spent time on the Eagles’ offseason roster and practice squad in 2015. The 28-year-old is still trying to keep the dream alive.
- “Who is Josh Hawkins?” is a question people were asking when multiple defensive back injuries forced the Eagles to use him to cover Michael Thomas during Philly’s 2019 divisional round loss to the New Orleans Saints.
- Brown was a 2018 UDFA signing that spent the past two training camps with the Eagles.
- Craig was a 2017 UDFA signing that spent some time on Eagles’ offseason rosters.
NEW YORK GUARDIANS
QB Luis Perez
QB Matt McGloin
LB Ryan Mueller
Unsigned draft pick: CB Jeremiah McKinnon
- Perez, an AAF alumnus, spent just over a month on Philly’s offseason roster last year before being released when the Eagles replaced him with Cody Kessler.
- McGloin, a Penn State alumnus, was one of the least enjoyable Eagles preseason quarterbacks I can remember. He was real bad.
- Mueller was signed to be a fullback for the Eagles in April 2016 but he was cut one month later.
- McKinnon spent time on the Eagles’ 2018 practice squad and their 2019 offseason roster. Fun fact about him is that he was a member all four NFC East teams at one point. And now he’s back in New York in a different league!
LOS ANGELES WILDCATS
S Jerome Couplin
LB Quentin Gause
Unsigned draft pick: TE Scott Orndoff
- The Eagles signed Couplin off the Detroit Lions’ practice squad in 2014. He spent nine games in two seasons with Philly before being cut in 2016.
- Gause, a Rutgers alumnus, was a 2016 UDFA signing.
- Orndoff spent some time on the Eagles’ 2019 practice squad.
S Godwin Igwebuike
Unsigned draft pick: DE Danny Ezechukwu
- The Eagles claimed Igwebuike after the San Francisco 49ers cut him on the last day of April 2019. Igwebuike picked off former Northwestern teammate Clayton Thorson on the final play of the Eagles’ first 2019 minicamp practice. Aren’t you loving this great info?
- Ezechukwu was a 2018 UDFA signing.
TAMPA BAY VIPERS
WR Seantavius Jones
- Jones was on the Eagles’ offseason roster from February 2016 through April 2016.
So ... anything that sticks out?
I think rooting for the BattleHawks could be fun. Agudosi and Jones have the potential to be visible skill players. Liggins did well in camp this summer for having played at a low level of competition in college. Plus, BattleHawks is a bird-adjacent name. And it’s cool for St. Louis that they have a football team again.
What say you?
Which XFL team are you rooting for?
This poll is closed
St. Louis BattleHawks
New York Guardians
Los Angeles Wildcats
Tampa Bay Vipers
Do you plan on watching the XFL at all?
This poll is closed