In some truly exciting news, the Philadelphia Eagles put out their first 2019 depth chart ahead of the team’s preseason game against the Tennessee Titans on Thursday evening!
There’s only one minor problem: this depth chart is very unofficial. It is not assembled by the Eagles coaching staff. It’s actually the public relations team who puts it together.
And even if this was the official depth chart, there’s still plenty of time for things to change. The Eagles still have several more weeks of training camp practices in addition to an entire preseason schedule to play.
Now that we’ve put those disclaimers out there, let’s overanalyze the depth chart!
QB: Carson Wentz, Nate Sudfeld, Cody Kessler, Clayton Thorson
RB: Jordan Howard, Miles Sanders, Darren Sproles, Corey Clement, Wendell Smallwood, Josh Adams, Boston Scott, Donnel Pumphrey
WR: Alshon Jeffery, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Shelton Gibson, Carlton Agudosi
WR: DeSean Jackson, Mack Hollins, Charles Johnson, Braxton Miller
WR: Nelson Agholor, Marken Michel, Greg Ward, DeAndre Thompkins
TE: Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert, Richard Rodgers, Joshua Perkins, Will Tye, Alex Ellis
LT: Jason Peters, Andre Dillard, Ryan Bates
LG: Isaac Seumalo, Stefen Wisniewski, Sua Opeta, Anthony Fabiano
C: Jason Kelce, Stefen Wisniewski, Keegan Render
RG: Brandon Brooks, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Matt Pryor, Nate Herbig
RT: Lane Johnson, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Jordan Mailata
DE: Derek Barnett, Vinny Curry, Shareef Miller, Kasim Edebali
DE: Brandon Graham, Josh Sweat, Daeshon Hall
DT: Fletcher Cox, Hassan Ridgeway, Bruce Hector,
DT: Malik Jackson, Tim Jernigan, Treyvon Hester, Kevin Wilkins
MLB: Nigel Bradham, Paul Worrilow, T.J. Edwards
OLB: Kamu Grugier-Hill, Nathan Gerry, Asantay Brown
OLB: Zach Brown, L.J. Fort, Alex Singleton
CB: Avonte Maddox, Rasul Douglas, Orlando Scandrick, Josh Hawkins, Ajene Harris, Jalen Mills
CB: Ronald Darby, Sidney Jones, Cre’Von LeBlanc, Jeremiah McKinnon, Jay Liggins
S: Rodney McLeod, Andrew Sendejo, Johnathan Cyprien, Trae Elston
S: Malcolm Jenkins, Tre Sullivan, Blake Countess, Deiondre’ Hall
K: Jake Elliott
P: Cameron Johnston
LS: Rick Lovato
KR: Miles Sanders, Corey Clement, Donnel Pumphrey
PR: Darren Sproles, DeSean Jackson, Boston Scott
H: Cameron Johnston
• Kessler is ahead of Thorson as the No. 3 quarterback. Thorson was taking all the third string reps in the spring but the rookie’s struggles have caused the coaching staff to split third team reps between Thorson and Kessler. As I’ve previously said, I don’t really see Thorson playing at all this year. Even if the team keeps Thorson on the roster, I see the Eagles re-signing Kessler to be Sudfeld’s backup if something happened to Wentz.
• Michel is listed as the top backup slot receiver but I feel like it’s Ward who’s usually filled in when Agholor hasn’t been able to go.
• Vaitai is listed as the top backup at right guard and right tackle but not left tackle. Dillard’s the guy behind Peters.
• Ridgeway is ahead of playoff hero Hester. This matches what we’ve seen in practice reps.
• Zach Brown is listed as a starter. He was previously taking first team reps in base defense next to Kamu and Bradham, so that makes sense.
• A little interesting to see how the Eagles listed their unsettled corner spot. Darby and Maddox are billed as starters ahead of Douglas and Jones, who’ve had good camps. Mills’ injury (and subsequent active/PUP status) has him at the bottom of the depth chart.
• Sanders is listed as the team’s top kick returner. It’ll be interesting to see if the Eagles actually use him on kick returns in the regular season. I think Clement will be getting some time there in any event.
• Sproles’ is the team’s top punt returner with Jackson available for special situation.
• Anything else noteworthy stick out to you?