Today marked the tenth 2019 Philadelphia Eagles training camp practice. It was a lighter session since it was a 10-10-10 day. Read on to see what I observed! Also, check out a new BGN Radio podcast below (or CLICK HERE):
• CARSON WENTZ UPDATE: Another good showing from No. 11. During an 11-on-11 red zone drill, Wentz hit DeSean Jackson on a dig in the end zone. Wentz just loves throwing to DeSean. Wentz also notably threaded a pass through a super tight window over the middle of the field to Greg Ward, who unfortunately dropped the ball.
• EAGLES INJURY UPDATE: The Eagles announced that Joe Ostman (knee) and Shelton Gibson (ankle) are still being evaluated after getting hurt on Sunday evening. Boston Scott (ankle) is a new addition to the injury report; he’s listed as day-to-day. Alshon Jeffery and Jason Kelce got veteran rest days today.
• With Kamu Grugier-Hill and Nigel Bradham missing team drills, the Eagles lined up with L.J. Fort as the starting middle linebacker in base defense. Nathan Gerry and Zach Brown were the outside linebackers in that situation. But then Fort came off with Gerry and Brown remaining on the field in nickel. That is, until the Fort and Gerry pairing appeared later in practice.
• Miles Sanders dropped a pass in the flat where he was too focused about what he was going to do after the reception instead of making the catch. Just a reminder that the rookie is not a polished product even though he’s very intriguing.
• Nate Sudfeld aka Nate Studfeld continues to stack positive days. He delivered a ball to newly signed Alex Ellis where the tight end could make the catch despite having linebacker Alex Singleton draped over him.
• It was encouraging to see Corey Clement looking healthy. He participated in some 11-on-11 reps with the team not doing any contact today. He broke a big run up the middle and he also had a nice shimmy after making a reception. Good progress for CC.
• I noticed T.J. Edwards taking first team special teams kickoff coverage reps with Kamu Grugier-Hill out. Edwards also took some second team linebacker reps next to Fort. Not the worst sign for the undrafted rookie free agent.
• Carlton Agudosi showed why he could be worth keeping around on the practice squad. He did a nice job of legally using his hands to create separation for a touchdown catch in the front left corner of the end zone. He also almost made a real impressive one-handed catch that shorter players couldn’t make as close as he did.
At the same time, Agudosi showed why he’s not quite pushing for a 53-man roster spot. A pass that was in his hands in the middle of the end zone got stripped out by Jay Liggins. He also had another drop on a comeback, though Avonte Maddox may have gotten a hand in there to break it up.
• Johnathan Cyprien was taking second team safety reps across from Tre Sullivan.
• Not exactly a surprise by Brandon Graham got by Jordan Mailata pretty easily in team drills.
• Daily Clayton Thorson struggle bus update: the rookie quarterback continues to sail passes meant for receivers along the sideline. Thorson received the most “stock down” votes from a media poll conducted by BGN alumnus Jimmy Kempski.
• The Eagles were playing a lot of Grateful Dead at practice today. Turns out that it was Malcolm Jenkins who picked that. The music switched to rap, though, when DeSean had enough of the other stuff.
• Daily routine:
Always like this Eagles DB routine en route to the team huddle pic.twitter.com/yUWwiETHlA— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) August 5, 2019
The Eagles will hold their final practice ahead of their first preseason game (Thursday, August 8 against the Titans) starting at 9:15 AM tomorrow. Stay tuned to BGN for more coverage, as always.