The Philadelphia Eagles officially announced 25 roster moves on Friday evening in order to trim the roster down to 65 players. The Eagles still must get down to 53 players prior to the 4:00 PM Eastern deadline on Saturday, August 31.
Here’s a look at the moves the Eagles made.
TE Richard Rodgers to injured reserve
DT Aziz Shittu waived with an injury settlement
The following five players were not “waived” because they’re vested veterans and are now free to sign with any team.
DE Kasim Edebali
DE Eli Harold
LB Hayes Pullard
CB Orlando Scandrick
TE Will Tye
The following players will be subject to waivers.
WR Carlton Agudosi
S Trae Elston
C Anthony Fabiano
S Deiondre’ Hall
CB Ajene Harris
CB Josh Hawkins
QB Cody Kessler
T Riley Mayfield
CB Jeremiah McKinnon
WR Marken Michel
RB Donnel Pumphrey
G Keegan Render
CB Sojourn Shelton
LB Alex Singleton
WR DeAndre Thompkins
S Jason Thompson
DT Kevin Wilkins
LB Chris Worley
- None of these roster moves are true shockers.
- Rodgers going on injured reserve is significant. He’s now going to miss the entire 2019 season (unless he later gets waived with an injury settlement). There was some speculation the Eagles might keep Rodgers on the original 53-man roster and THEN place him on injured reserve — just like they did last year — so he’d be eligible to return later in the season. That won’t be the case here. This likely means that Joshua Perkins is the Eagles’ third tight end. It’s entirely possible Howie Roseman looks to upgrade on Perkins via waivers or another method.
- As previously discussed, there’s a decent chance the Eagles re-sign Scandrick after Week 1.
- Marken Michel getting cut is a little noteworthy considering he had some nice moments in the offseason. He looked to be competing for a fifth or sixth receiver spot but now it’s down to Mack Hollins and Greg Ward. The feeling here is the Eagles keep Hollins but not Ward.
- The Eagles have 12 more moves to make to get down to 53. One of those will likely be placing Jalen Mills on reserve/physically unable to perform so it’s really like 11 more moves if you already assume that one takes place.
Stay tuned for more Eagles news and updates by following along with BGN’s EAGLES ROSTER CUTS TRACKER [CLICK HERE].