The Philadelphia Eagles held their second minicamp practice on Wednesday and I was there to take it all in. Keep in mind that these are all non-contact drills at this point. Players aren’t allowed to wear pads yet. There’s only so much to be gleaned from guys running around in shorts, but here’s what I noticed.
• CARSON WENTZ UPDATE: The highlight of Wednesday’s practice was when Wentz dialed up a 50-yard deep bomb to DeSean Jackson for a touchdown. The ball was right on the money; it hit Jackson — who burned Rasul Douglas — in stride. Wentz has been throwing to Jackson all spring long but that’s the first time the two really connected on a shot like that. Players got really excited. The play had me thinking: is Wentz the best quarterback that DeSean has ever played with? Scary thought for the Eagles’ opponents.
Wentz had another nice completion 25+ yards down the field to Marken Michel on a corner route. Michel then juked Andrew Sendejo and turned on the burners to get in the end zone for a touchdown. Michel — who averaged 16.9 yards per reception in the CFL — has stood out recently. Special teams coordinator Dave Fipp also mentioned him as a potential punt returner, which Michel has experience doing. Dark horse roster candidate?
Wentz was on fire during red zone drills. He hit Wendell Smallwood on a wheel route in the back left corner of the end zone. The ball JUST made it over the outstretched arms of Tre Sullivan and into the hands of Wendell Smallwood as he ran the route in stride. Perfect timing and accuracy. Very impressive throw. Right after the Smallwood completion, Wentz threw a tight window touchdown to a tip-toeing Zach Ertz along the back of the end zone. Another great ball.
It wasn’t a perfect practice for Wentz. He did throw an interception while intending a pass for Michel up the seam. Avonte Maddox was the one who made an outstanding leaping pick. He really got up in the air for that one. Wentz had another pick when he tried to force a ball into tight coverage as he was throwing across his body. Wentz also overthrew one deep attempt.
Overall, it continues to be a strong spring for No. 11.
Carson Wentz to Alshon Jeffery: pic.twitter.com/ycNQQBYFhT— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) June 12, 2019
• ATTENDANCE UPDATES: No one missing.
• INJURY UPDATES: Nelson Agholor didn’t participate but he was watching from the sideline unlike the past couple practices. Doug Pederson said Agholor should be ready for training camp. Derek Barnett continues to be missing from the practice fields but Pederson also said he’s “optimistic” about Barnett being ready for training camp. Miles Sanders is still out and Shelton Gibson missed his first spring practice today. Mack Hollins only participated in position drills for the second day in a row. Fletcher Cox, Brandon Brooks, Ronald Darby, Rodney McLeod, Corey Clement, and Josh Adams continued their rehab work while missing practice.
• DEPTH CHART UPDATES: Noted it yesterday but Sidney Jones continues to come off the field when the Eagles go to their big nickel look (multiple safeties on the field). Avonte Maddox and Rasul Douglas are the outside corners in that situation. The Athletic’s Bo Wulf (friend of BGN) sad he’s seen the Eagles take Maddox off and leave Jones on in some of those formations. I trust him. But I’ll also stick with my take that Maddox is (and should be) ahead of Jones on the depth chart. Maddox is just a baller.
• In addition to logging an interception, Sendejo broke up a deep pass intended for Jackson. Minus getting juked by Michel, it was a good day for the veteran defender. #CompPickWatch
• Boston Scott had a run where he made a nasty cut. Offensive players got fired up for that one.
• Eagles wide receiver coach Carson Walch praised JJ Arcega-Whiteside for his footwork while running a route. The rookie has had a good spring.
• Undrafted rookie free agent DeAndre Thompkins got some “oooh’s” from his veteran teammates while doing a receiver drill focused on releases. He looked shifty.
• Clayton Thorson had a pass knocked down at the line of scrimmage. Sure can’t say he’s looked good recently.
• Brandon Graham took some punt returner reps at one point. Secret weapon!?!
• Here’s some practice footage:
Eagles minicamp practice, Day 2 https://t.co/VS21VSBsp9— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) June 12, 2019
Remaining offseason workout schedule
Mandatory Minicamp: June 13.
BGN Coverage: The following practice is open to the media: June 13. I’ll be there. Follow me for live updates: @BrandonGowton.