The Philadelphia Eagles held their first minicamp practice on Tuesday and I was there to soak it all in. Keep in mind that these are all non-contact drills at this point. Players aren’t allowed to wear pads yet. There’s only so much to be gleaned from guys running around in shorts, but here’s what I noticed.
• CARSON WENTZ UPDATE: Not a bad day at the office for the $128 million man. Wentz had a crisp touchdown pass to Dallas Goedert on a fade route. Later, Wentz pump faked hard left before turning back to the middle of the field and hitting a diving JJ Arcega-Whiteside in a tight window for a touchdown. Really just rifled that ball in there. Wentz connected with JJ again 30 yards down the field via a flea flicker. Wentz threw hit former CFL speedster Marken Michel on a deep bomb during 7-on-7. Right on the money. Wentz did nearly throw a pick to Nathan Gerry during team drills. He was also a little high on a target for Zach Ertz where the ball got dangerously tipped into the air. So, there were some things Wentz can clean up. Overall, though, No. 11 continues to have a strong spring.
• ATTENDANCE UPDATES: No absences. Malcolm Jenkins, Alshon Jeffery, Lane Johnson, and Jason Peters all attended practice after previously skipping OTAs.
• INJURY UPDATES: Mack Hollins is actually still alive! He did not participate in team drills but he did some individual stuff. That’s a positive development. Video evidence below:
Proof that #Eagles WR Mack Hollins is still alive: pic.twitter.com/2tkyp3C9k2— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) June 11, 2019
In other injury news, the group of Fletcher Cox, Brandon Brooks, Corey Clement, Nigel Bradham, Ronald Darby, and Rodney McLeod were all doing work on a side field. Darby and McLeod continue to participate in team warmups, unlike other injured players. Tuesday marked the first time we actually saw Cox and Brooks out at practice. Brooks told reporters that he’s feeling good as he walked out to the field:
Brandon Brooks out here at practice. Said he’s feeling great. #Eagles pic.twitter.com/N80nXq66yf— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) June 11, 2019
Nelson Agholor continues to miss practice with an undisclosed injury. Miles Sanders, meanwhile, isn’t expected to practice this week while he nurses his hamstring issue.
• DEPTH CHART UPDATES: Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas continue to be the outside corners. However, Jones did come off the field when the Eagles brought on Tre Sullivan as a third safety. In that package, Maddox and Douglas were the outside corners. On offense, Greg Ward was filling in for Agholor as the first team slot receiver.
• Today’s practice felt unusually boring. I checked with BGN alumnus Jimmy Kempski to see if it was just me and he said it wasn’t. So, if these notes aren’t as interesting or extensive as expected, I blame the Eagles.
• First look at DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffery on the same team.
DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffery chatting it up. #Eagles pic.twitter.com/Ogtko2VuDy— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) June 11, 2019
• Jason Peters has a new look. No braids here:
Jason Peters with a new haircut. #Eagles pic.twitter.com/z0M0lPyu5N— Zack Rosenblatt (@ZackBlatt) June 11, 2019
• Wasn’t the best day of Nate Sudfeld. He got “sacked” a number of times, including at least one play where Joe Ostman worked Jordan Mailata. The coverage deserves some credit but it felt like Sudfeld was holding on to the ball too long at times. Sudfeld did have a quality touchdown throw to Dallas Goedert during red zone drills.
• Alshon Jeffery (6-3, 218) chucked Sidney Jones (6-0, 181) into oblivion while running a route. Jeffery got flagged for offensive pass interference on the play, and rightfully so, but that’s still not a great look for Jones. You don’t want to be getting man-handled on the practice field.
• The Eagles dialed up an end around to Ward where he was looking to throw. The defense wasn’t really fooled though and Ward only got off a short pass to Michel.
• Donnel Pumphrey didn’t do anything exceptional in practice but he did touch the ball a lot. Better than being invisible out there. Is this finally the year for him?!?!?!?!?!? Probably not, but ... maybe?
• Clayton Thorson continues to struggle. The rookie quarterback threw a really bad pick on the final play of practice. It was his former college teammate Godwin Igwebuike who logged the interception.
• Eagles legend Brent Celek attended practice today.
• Here’s some video from today’s practice:
Live from Eagles practice https://t.co/OsrMLZ6Ro1— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) June 11, 2019
Remaining offseason workout schedule
Mandatory Minicamp: June 12-13.
BGN Coverage: The following practices are open to the media: June 12-13. I’ll be at both of those practices. Follow me for live updates: @BrandonGowton.