So, maybe the Philadelphia Eagles weren’t embellishing a “major community announcement” after all! The team FINALLY revealed jersey numbers for their 2019 offseason acquisitions on Thursday evening. Here’s a full breakdown, along with some very important jersey number thoughts.
QB Luis Perez - 2
WR Charles Johnson - 3
WR Greg Ward - 6
WR DeSean Jackson - 10
WR Carlton Agudosi - 14
RB Jordan Howard - 24
S Godwin Igwebuike - 33
S Blake Countess - 39
S Andrew Sendejo - 42
LB Alex Singleton - 49
LB Zach Brown - 51
LB L.J. Fort - 58
DT Hassan Ridgeway - 64
OT Tyreek Burwell - 66
DE Vinny Curry - 75
WR Marken Michel - 80
DT Malik Jackson - 97
QB Clayton Thorson - 8
WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside - 19
RB Miles Sanders - 26
DE Shareef Miller - 76
OT Andre Dillard - 77
WR Mack Hollins - 16 (formerly 10)
DE Josh Sweat - 94 (formerly 75)
UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS
WR DeAndre Thompkins - 1
RB Nico Evans - 41
LB Joey Alfieri - 50
LB T.J. Edwards - 57
C Keegan Render - 64
DT Anthony Rush - 66
OG Nate Herbig - 67
OG Ryan Bates - 74
OG Iosua Opeta - 78
DT Kevin Wilkins - 78
- Perez is the first Eagles quarterback to wear No. 2 since Matt Barkley.
- Ward wore No. 4 when he first signed with the Eagles as a UDFA in 2017. Then he had 89 last offseason. Now he’s back to the single digit with No. 6.
- We already knew DeSean was getting No. 10 back.
- Agudosi has the displeasure of wearing the Riley Cooper number.
- Howard was able to keep his No. 24 from his time with the Bears.
- Countess wore No. 29 with the Eagles as a rookie in 2016 and No. 24 with the Rams. Now he’s No. 39. Too bad for him that Avonte Maddox and Howard have his older numbers.
- Sendejo replaces Chris Maragos as a white guy wearing No. 42.
- Brown previously wore No. 55 and No. 53 but now he’s No. 51 in Philly. First linebacker to wear that number since Emmanuel Acho in 2014.
- No. 58 is a strong get for Fort. The last three players to sport that number: Jordan Hicks, Trent Cole, and Ike Reese.
- Curry got his old No. 75 back.
- Jackson was able to get No. 97 after previously wearing that with the Broncos and Jaguars.
- Thorson got Donnie Jones’ old number. He’s the first Eagles quarterback to wear No. 8 since ... Christian Hackenberg last summer.
- JJAW retains No. 19 after wearing it at Stanford. I’m willing to wager he’ll be a more memorable No. 19 than the last guy: Golden Tate.
- Sanders gets No. 26 after wearing No. 24 at Penn State. Now Sanders and his former PSU teammate, Saquon Barkley, have the same number in the NFL. The last Eagles player to wear No. 26 was Jay Ajayi in 2018. (Ajayi wore No. 36 in 2017.)
- 76 isn’t a good number for Miller. Just not a fan of that.
- 77 is solid for Dillard.
- Hollins lost No. 10 with DeSean coming back. But No. 16 was the best he could do? Concerning. Not a great choice. His Hall of Fame future is in jeopardy.
- Sweat moving from No. 75 to No. 94 isn’t so bad for him. Could be the sign of a breakout season, actually.
- Really like No. 1 as a summer number for Thompkins, who has some return ability. Funny, too, because Cameron Johnston also wears No. 1 and will be punting to Thompkins in practice.
- No. 50 and No. 57 are good numbers for undrafted rookie linebackers. Alfieri and Edwards got lucky they didn’t have to pick from the 40s.
- Worth noting that the Eagles didn’t give out No. 9 this offseason. Not surprising but could be telling they might eventually retire Nick Foles’ number? Or at least keep it on ice for a long time, same with how they’ve treated No. 12 (Randall Cunningham) and No. 25 (LeSean McCoy).