Here’s an ... interesting ... free agency rumor for you to chew on. Former NFL player Antwan Odom seems to be claiming the Philadelphia Eagles have re-signed cornerback Ronald Darby to a one-year contract worth $8.75 million.
just announce it already @Eagles #Eagles resign @realronalddarby on 1 year 8.75 million dollar deal— Antwan Odom (@AntwanOdom98) March 14, 2019
- I’m not 100% sure this is the real Antwan Odom. It’s a verified account, yes, but I saw some speculation that Odom’s account was hacked. So, I don’t know.
- I’m not sure how Odom would know this information about Darby. His most obvious Eagles connection, from what I can tell, is having played for Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz (and Eagles defensive special assistant Matt Burke) with the Titans from 2004 through 2007.
- This actually seems like a realistic contract based on what other cornerbacks have signed for in free agency so far. Darby’s value is projected higher than $8.75 million but perhaps his market is more limited than expected after missing 15 games in the last two seasons. Maybe he wants to take a one-year deal to rehab his value and hit the market again offseason.
- We last heard that Darby was visiting the Chiefs on Wednesday night. Ian Rapoport said he could sign in Kansas City that evening if “if all goes well” with the meeting. Well, it’s now Friday morning, and we haven’t heard an update on Darby since then. So it would seem like all didn’t necessarily go well. Furthermore, Reddit user “Judge_Reid” claims he heard Mike Harmon of Fox Sports Radio say that Darby failed his physical with the Chiefs and KC is not expected to offer a contract.
- So, perhaps Philly is going to be able to bring Darby back on a one-year, “prove it” deal of sorts. Signing him for $8.75 million isn’t inexpensive but it would be a good value relative to the projected $12-to-$13.5 million per year range some believed he was going to be worth.
- Once again: it’s worth taking this Odom tweet with a grain of salt. But maybe he’s right? Darby did say earlier this week that the “Eagles really want me to stay where I’m at.” We’ll see.
(Hat tip to BGN reader Erik Olson on this story.)