This report makes sense given that Howie Roseman and Doug Pederson didn’t fully commit to Nate Sudfeld as Carson Wentz’s backup for next season. Pederson specifically said Sudfeld has a chance to be Nick Foles’ replacement as the Eagles’ No. 2 quarterback but the job won’t just be handed to him.
It’s worth noting that Sudfeld, who turns 26 in October, is set to be a restricted free agent. The expectation is that the Eagles will use the second-round level tender on him, which is estimated to cost $3.124 million in 2019.
That’s not exactly cheap for a player who might end up being a third string quarterback again this season. We know the Eagles value backup quarterbacks highly, especially with Wentz having a history of injury issues, but Philly is also relatively limited on cap space. They have to be judicious about their spending.
Maybe the Eagles look to tender Sudfeld and then try to trade him. Or maybe they just keep him and have him compete with a veteran for the No. 2 job.
In any case, the Eagles do have options available to them. Here’s an entire list of free agent quarterbacks from Rotoworld:
Nick Foles (30)
Teddy Bridgewater (26)
Tyrod Taylor (29)
Ryan Fitzpatrick (36)
Brock Osweiler (28)
Robert Griffin III (29)
Trevor Siemian (27)
Sam Bradford (31)
Brett Hundley (25)
Josh McCown (39)
Geno Smith (28)
Josh Johnson (32)
Ryan Griffin (29)
Tom Savage (28)
Joe Webb (32)
David Fales (28)
Brandon Weeden (35)
Sean Mannion (26)
Matt Schaub (37)
Matt Cassel (36)
Mark Sanchez (32)
Some quick thoughts on each player:
- Foles isn’t coming back. He’s probably ending up as the Jaguars’ new starter.
- I’d imagine Bridgewater is looking to at least compete for a starting role somewhere. If he can’t find that, he might just return to the Saints and bide his time as Drew Brees’ backup.
- Taylor could be a legitimate option for the Eagles, as I previously wrote about. The Ravens’ 2011 sixth-round pick overlapped with Douglas in Baltimore for four seasons. Taylor is 23-21-1 as a starter and he has a career passer rating of 89.6. He’s also a rushing threat.
- It’d be fun to have Fitzmagic on the team. He fits the Foles mold of a high variance quarterback. In Week 2 last year, the Eagles saw first-hand how he still has gas left in the tank.
- Just say no to Brock Lobster.
- I’d think the Ravens would want to keep RG3 behind Lamar Jackson now that Joe Flacco is gone.
- Siemian could be an OK backup option. I’d think the Vikings will try to keep him.
- Could you even imagine Sammy Sleeves coming back to Philly as a backup? Me neither.
- Hundley’s bad.
- McCown would be a solid addition but I’d think the Jets want him to back up Sam Darnold. Or he might just retire.
- geNO smith.
- I’ve always liked Johnson a little but the Eagles could probably do better.
- I’d rather have Robert Griffin III than Ryan Griffin.
- No on Tom Savage.
- JOE WEBB?!?!? NEVER.
- Mannion, Schaub, Cassel, and the Sanchize ... pass.
There are some other veteran quarterback options currently under contract that could come available. If the Broncos move on from Case Keenum, there’s a quality backup option. Blake Bortles and Ryan Tannehill might get cut. The latter of those two is more preferable. A.J. McCarron is another cap casualty candidate.
So, yeah. The Eagles don’t lack options when it comes to finding a Foles replacement. Will that guy be as good as BDN? Very likely not. But he might be better than Sudfeld ... or at least challenge Sudfeld for the backup spot behind Wentz.
Who do you want the Eagles to acquire? Or should they just stick with STUDfeld?