The Philadelphia Eagles officially announced changes to their coaching staff and front office on Monday morning. A number of these hires have already been reported but now we know even more than before. Here’s a look at what’s new.
EAGLES COACHING STAFF
Previously: Eagles defensive quality control/assistant defensive line coach
Currently: Eagles defensive line coach
Previously: Eagles assistant wide receivers coach
Currently: Eagles wide receivers coach
Previously: Meigs Local High School head coach
Currently: Eagles assistant tight ends coach
Previously: Eagles assistant special teams coach
Currently: Eagles assistant wide receivers coach
Previously: Keiser University assistant head coach/offensive coordinator/offensive line coach
Currently: Eagles assistant offensive line coach
Previously: Eagles offensive quality control/assistant offensive line coach
Currently: Eagles assistant running backs coach
Previously: Lafayette College defensive coordinator/linebackers coach
Currently: Eagles assistant special teams coach
Previously: Dolphins defensive coordinator
Currently: Eagles defensive special assistant
Previously: Arkansas offensive analyst
Currently: Eagles offensive special projects coach
Previously: Alabama running backs coach
Currently: Eagles director of team development
You can [CLICK HERE] to read coaching bios.
EAGLES FRONT OFFICE
Previously: Browns vice president of player personnel
Currently: Eagles vice president of football operations
Previously: Eagles director of equipment operations
Currently: Eagles vice president of equipment operations
Previously: Eagles director of football technology
Currently: Eagles vice president of football technology
Previously: Eagles manager of football compliance
Currently: Eagles vice president of football operations and compliance
Previously: Dolphins offensive line coach
Currently: Eagles advanced projects coordinator
You can [CLICK HERE] to read front office bios.
Some thoughts on these changes:
- No changes at the coordinator level. Doug Pederson previously said Mike Groh, Jim Schwartz, and Dave Fipp would all be back for 2019.
- The Daniels, Walch, Bartrum, Istvan, Burke, Kinne, and Pannunzio moves were previously reported. Once again, the Eagles went big on hiring coaches who have obvious connections to the current staff.
- We finally have some clarity on Burke’s actual title. It was previously reported he was being hired as a “top aide” to Schwartz. Now we know that means he’s a “defensive special assistant.”
- Kinne and Pannunzio have vague and new interesting titles. I wonder exactly what Kinne’s “offensive special projects” role entails. Pannunzio, meanwhile, is listed under the coaching staff section as the “director of team development” despite previously working in Philly’s front office.
- Berry’s hire is the most significant front office move. Delimitros, Dolan, and Ferrari all just received slight title bumps.
- I like how the Eagles tried to bury the fact they hired Jim Washburn’s son (!) by putting his name all the way at the bottom of the list. There’s also no mention of Jeremiah’s dad in his Eagles bio. Jeremiah previously worked with Jim Schwartz in Detroit. With him and Matt Burke joining the team, that’s two new Schwartz guys in the building.
- Former Eagles assistant running backs coach Trent Miles is no longer listed on the coaching staff. I’m guessing he got fired. The Eagles also let former Eagles wide receivers coach Gunter Brewer leave for Louisville last month. Contracts for former defensive line coach Chris Wilson and former assistant offensive line coach Eugene Chung were not renewed this offseason.
- It’s important for the Eagles to keep stocking their coaching pipeline. We all saw how Andy Reid’s staff got depleted over the years. One would hope the franchise learned from that and prioritizes good replacements this time around.
- UPDATE: Some minor changes not noted in the Eagles’ official announcement:
Ryan Paganetti is now just "Assistant Linebackers", Dino Vasso is "Assistant Secondary" and Spencer Phillips is "Assistant Quarterbacks"— Greg Richards (@igglesnut) February 25, 2019