Today marked the 10th day of 2018 Philadelphia Eagles training camp. Practice was relatively short again since it was a 10-10-10 day. In short, that means the offense and defense were just trying to give each other different looks. Here’s what I observed on the hottest day of camp so far.
• Daily Carson Wentz update: Wentz didn’t do much in practice since it mostly consisted of 11-on-11. Seventh practice in a row with no full team drills for Wentz.
• Injury updates: Instead of listing them here, I wrote an entire post about the Eagles’ injury situation.
• De’Vante Bausby was back as the Eagles’ first team nickel corner today. So far that’s: five days of Sidney Jones, four days of Bausby, and one day of Jalen Mills in slot.
• Kamar Aiken was in at first team wide receiver with Mike Wallace, Shelton Gibson, and Markus Wheaton all out. He made a real nice over-the-shoulder reception in the back right corner of the end zone with Avonte Maddox trailing him. Really good ball from Joe Callahan on the fade route.
• Callahan had a good ball to Bryce Treggs along the sideline on a corner route. Later on, an underthrow from Callahan got picked off by Chandon Sullivan in the end zone.
• Nate Sudfeld’s highlight was when he hit Josh Perkins over the middle in the end zone for a touchdown. Great anticipation pass into a very tight window. The linebacker and safety were converging on the tight end. Sudfeld to Perkins was good for another score later on with Chandon Sullivan beat this time. Perkins is coming on a little bit here.
• Steven Means batted down a Sudfeld screen pass.
• Dallas Goedert continues to look unstoppable in the red zone. He beat Tre Sullivan and made a catch with his arms extended above his head.
• LaRoy Reynolds had the opportunity to absolutely light up Donnel Pumphey on an angle route in the end zone. He had to settle for breaking up the pass.
• Nate Gerry stood out on a rep where he shadowed Goedert in coverage and then broke up a pass for the tight end at the catch point. That’s an area where Goedert usually wins so kudos to Gerry.
• Jake Elliott was perfect on his field goal attempts. He was so good that he hit the All-22 camera. I don’t know if he’s trying to do that on purpose but he’s done it multiple times now. I’m sure the guy in charge of that tower isn’t happy with him.
• Josh Adams bobbled a pass over the middle. Almost got picked off by a linebacker.
• Josh Sweat had a nice rush against Toby Weathersby.
• We desperately need the Eagles to get back to some regular practices because these recent ones have been boring. And that makes for boring notes. And makes me start to look to fill them out with the nonsense you’ll see in the next two points.
• I think I might need to move up lemon to second in my Eagles Training Camp Rita’s Water Ice Flavor Rankings. I enjoyed that more than I enjoyed a mango recently. 1) Swedish Fish, 2) Lemon, 3) Mango, 4) Blue Raspberry.
• Big shoutout to Benjamin Solak for a good doughnut selection from Dunkin Donuts today. He got one Boston cream and one plain glazed. Strong choices. Boston cream is the best doughnut, except it should be filled with the yellow custard, and not the white cream.
UP NEXT: The Eagles are back at practice tomorrow morning starting at 9:15 AM ET. It’s their last practice open to the media before the team’s preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday evening. As always, stay tuned to Bleeding Green Nation.