Today marked the 12th day of 2018 Philadelphia Eagles training camp. The Eagles were at Lincoln Financial Field for their second and final practice open to the public. Here’s what I observed.
• Daily Carson Wentz update: Today marked the ninth practice in a row with Wentz not participating in 11-on-11. He did go through around eight 7-on-7 reps. Wentz threw a real nice deep ball to Anthony Mahoungou that got broken up by D.J. Killings. A better receiver (say, Alshon Jeffery) probably would’ve made that catch. Wentz fired a strike through a tight window between two defenders to Rashard Davis in the end zone during red zone drills. Wentz had two passes broken up. One was a throw to Richard Rodgers where Nigel Bradham disrupted the play from behind the tight end. Jalen Mills broke up a Wentz throw meant for Zach Ertz in the front right corner of the end zone. Ertz wanted a flag on that one.
• Injury updates: Nick Foles returned to action after being out since last Sunday. Donnel Pumphrey missed practice. His stock is dropping. Nelson Agholor wasn’t seen at practice; he’s missed a couple days (and one preseason game) now. Markus Wheaton and Corey Clement weren’t out on the field either. Mack Hollins and Sidney Jones were dressed for practice but didn’t do much in team drills. Dallas Goedert had to leave practice early after getting banged up. Hopefully it’s nothing major.
• Foles looked good during his first day back. The reigning Super Bowl MVP connected with Mike Wallace on a deep bomb 40 yards down the field. Wallace burned Jalen Mills and made the shoulder-the-shoulder catch. Wallace celebrated the play by staring at the crowd with his arms out: “Are you not entertained?!” Good to see Wallace still has that big play ability, especially coming off missing a few practices and a preseason game.
• Back to Foles, who drew “MVP” chants at one point during practice. He floated a ball to Zach Ertz in the back left corner of the end zone for a touchdown. The tight end made a one-handed catch on the fade pass. Ertz called for a flag despite making the play and Jenkins didn’t like that, so he picked up a pylon and threw it the tight end. Foles fit another ball in a tight window to Zach Ertz in the end zone. Right in between Rodney McLeod and Jenkins. Foles overthrew Greg Ward Jr. in the back of the end zone at one point but he came right back and hit Billy Brown over the middle on the next play.
• Nate Sudfeld had a real quality throw up the seam to Josh Perkins after pump faking to shake the defense. Unfortunate to see Perkins drop the ball on that rep. Sudfeld connected with both Ertz and Bryce Treggs for quick slant touchdowns. Bausby and Tre Sullivan were beaten on those reps, respectively.
• De’Vante Bausby got the bulk of today’s first team nickel corner reps. Six days of Jones, five days of De’Vante Bausby, one day of Jalen Mills.
• Derek Barnett flashed at times during today’s practice. He got good pressure off the edge while going up against Jason Peters in 11-on-11. Later, he got by Rodgers with ease to explode in the backfield for a tackle for loss. Barnett also shoved Halapoulivaati Vaitai to the ground during a 1-on-1 session. It’s been a relatively quiet camp for Barnett so it was nice to see him show up today.
• More up and down from Rasul Douglas. The second-year corner did a real nice job of playing a Sudfeld fade throw to Treggs in the end zone. The ball was right on the money but Sudfeld tracked it and broke it up at the catch point. Douglas didn’t have as easy of a time covering Shelton Gibson, who shook the crap out of him to get wide open in the back left corner. Douglas also got stiff armed to the ground by Wendell Smallwood. In his defense, he’s not allowed to tackle the runner, so Smallwood has an unfair advantage there.
• Ertz was generally unstoppable in the red zone today. Goedert’s been unstoppable down there all offseason as well. Bold prediction: the Eagles will score a lot of touchdowns this year.
• Isaac Seumalo continues to struggle with his snapping. He had two bad high ones today.
• Kamu Grugier-Hill notched a “tackle for loss.” The guy makes plays.
• Ronald Darby broke up a Foles pass intended for Rodgers. That’s a big mismatch in speed right there.
• McLeod had good coverage on Davis during a 7-on-7 rep.
• Some good and bad for Aziz Shittu: he sniffed out a screen play but he also got flattened to the group by Aaron Evans in 1-on-1.
• Joe Callahan roll out and threw a touchdown pass to a diving Tim Wilson during red zone drills. Callahan may be at his best when he’s throwing on the move.
• The Eagles announced 35,000 fans in attendance for today’s practice. Find updated totals for the last three years below. Turns out the reigning Super Bowl champs are a lot more interesting than a team with Sam Bradford as the starting quarterback.
Eagles open training camp practice attendance totals (two practices combined):— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) August 11, 2018
• We had more dueling “E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!” chants at the Linc today. The wave also made another appearance.
UP NEXT: The Eagles are back at the NovaCare Complex for another practice tomorrow starting at 9:15 AM ET. As always, stay tuned to Bleeding Green Nation.