Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
Before I get into the pick, let’s look at the Titans 2017 ending, needs and big board at pick #25. The Titans finished last season with a Divisional round loss to the Patriots 35-14. Suddenly, the AFC South got a LOT better. The Colts ran the division most of the last 20 years but now every team could consider themselves a playoff contender. The Titans have work to do to improve on last year. Let’s get to it!
- Titans Needs- DT, DE, ILB, OLB, G, WR
- Titans Big Board
Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan-Hurst had an irregular EKG at the NFL draft combine. He would be the pick if I knew he would not have future complications. He would have been a top 15 pick if he didn’t have the EKG.
Taven Bryan, DT, Florida-Taven has a ceiling as high as any player in this draft. He could be JJ Watt good, but his lack of experience and instincts have not lead to much production. He needs time the Titans don’t have.
Sam Hubbard, DE, OSU-I think this very well could be the pick the Titans turn in on draft day. New Coach Mike Vrabel was an assistant at OSU just a few years ago and might want a player with which he is familiar. He is not my pick because I think that he is a 2nd round talent.
Arden Key, DE/OLB, LSU- Key’s has 1st round ability with 15.5 sacks as a Senior. He has personal issues that will drop him, even though his father said he has been sober a year. He is being compared to Randy Gregory, ouch.
DJ Moore, WR, Maryland & Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU-This would be more of a reach for need vs best player available. I think both WR’s have good potential, but the Titans still have a bitter taste in their mouth after taking Corey Davis in the 1st round last year. Davis had an injury filled rookie year posting a 34 reception/375 yard/0 TD stat line.
Will Hernandez, G, UTEP & Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia- Again guard might be a sore spot for 1st round draft pick. Chance Warmack, although not as bad as Danny Watkins, has been a bust compared to where he was drafted, 10th overall in 2013. I think both guards have the potential to be 1st round picks just not for the Titans.
- Titans Pick-Leighton Vander Esch- LVE, 6’4” 256 lbs. is almost a spitting image of Coach Mike Vrabel, 6’4” 260 lbs. The red shirt Junior was the Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year in 2017. He had 141 tackles (12 for a loss), 4 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 3 interceptions on the year.
- Pros-LVE is a solid tackler who can get side line to side line. He excels in coverage using his natural instincts, fluid hips, good speed, above average hands, and ability to watch the QB’s eyes to see where the ball is going. He will be best in zone coverage but also has the ability to recover to stay with a TE. Although his strength is in coverage, he will be able to get home on a blitz.
- Cons-Every year someone comes out of nowhere to be a 1st round draft pick. LVE is that this year. The preferred walk-on coming out of high school had an injury plagued RS Sophomore year. His limited playing time has led to over pursuing at times. In rural Idaho, LVE played 8 vs 8 in high school because there were not enough players to fill an 11 vs 11 team. LVE will be the 1st player to play in the NFL coming from the 8 vs 8 format. LVE will need to get better at shedding blockers.
Do you approve of this pick?
This poll is closed
2018 BGN Community Mock Draft Order
1) Browns (GMinTraining): Saquon Barkley
2) Giants (ablesser88): Quenton Nelson
3) Jets (20Safety_Hazards): Sam Darnold
4) Browns (MJ1893): Josh Rosen
5) Broncos (drc242): Baker Mayfield
6) Colts (I Need a Username): Bradley Chubb
7) Buccaneers (dunc123): Minkah Fitzpatrick
8) Bears (NVEagleShark): Tremaine Edmunds
9) 49ers (Doug Pederson’s Pair of Balls): Calvin Ridley
10) Raiders (Milehighbirds): Derwin James
11) Dolphins (danishdynamite_): Roquan Smith
12) Bills (LAOJoe): Denzel Ward
13) Washington (Eagle1987): Vita Vea
14) Packers (89Tremaine): Mike Hughes
15) Cardinals (RimoDawkins): Josh Allen
16) Ravens (PhillyEagles2011): Mike McGlinchey
17) Chargers (LBCeaglesFan!): Da’Ron Payne
18) Seahawks (KEZHOG): Marcus Davenport
19) Cowboys (Brawnybalboa): Rashaan Evans
20) Lions (dshelton5): Derrius Guice
21) Bengals (Palaniappan K M): Connor Williams
22) Bills (BeamerWentzorBentley): Lamar Jackson
23) Patriots (jy1187): Harold Landry
24) Panthers (dceagles): Justin Reid
25) Titans (ei78): Leighton Vander Esch
26) Falcons (SakPrescott):
27) Saints (MidMajorMatt):
28) Steelers (SummersInVA):
29) Jaguars (RecarTabmok):
30) Vikings (AnthroEagle):
31) Patriots (PhilaWolverine):
32) Eagles (JALupowitz):
Now it’s time for you to vote for who YOU think the Titans should pick in the 2018 BGN Consensus Mock Draft.
1) Browns: Saquon Barkley
2) Giants: Sam Darnold
3) Jets: Josh Rosen
4) Browns: Josh Allen
5) Broncos: Baker Mayfield
6) Colts: Bradley Chubb
7) Buccaneers: Minkah Fitzpatrick
8) Bears: Quenton Nelson
9) 49ers: Tremaine Edmunds
10) Raiders: Derwin James
11) Dolphins: Roquan Smith
12) Bills: Lamar Jackson
13) Washington: Vita Vea
14) Packers: Denzel Ward
15) Cardinals: Mason Rudolph
16) Ravens: Mike McGlinchey
17) Chargers: Da’Ron Payne
18) Seahawks: Marcus Davenport
19) Cowboys: Rashaan Evans
20) Lions: Derrius Guice
21) Bengals: Connor Williams
22) Bills: Calvin Ridley
23) Patriots: Harold Landry
24) Panthers: Courtland Sutton
Who should the Titans draft at No. 25?
This poll is closed
Leighton Vander Esch