Chief of Police Art Acevedo spoke at length about the alleged situation. Here’s a recap of what he had to say.
- Acevedo said there is no video or photographic evidence of Bennett pushing anyone. He says one officer witnessed the alleged incident take place.
- Acevedo said Bennett pushed one male security guard and one female security guard before pushing a 66-year-old black female paraplegic female security guard. He said the officer who tried to detain Bennett had his attention on the elderly woman and lost track of Bennett in the large amount of people who were on the field.
- Acevedo claims Bennett said “F*** you” to the officer trying to detain him. He also claims Bennett said “You all must know who I am, I could own this motherf***er.”
- Acevedo said he suspects Bennett could have been under the influence of alcohol.
- Acevedo said the elderly woman suffered a sprained shoulder.
- Acevedo described Bennett as “morally bankrupt” for “putting [his] hands on a little old lady.”
- Acevedo called for Bennett to “turn himself in as soon as possible.”
- Acevedo said the Houston PD has been in touch with the NFL.
- Acevedo said the reason why this indictment came to light 14 months after the alleged incident is because the department had to prioritize their cases.
In the meantime, the Eagles released an official statement on Bennett.
“We are aware of the situation involving Michael Bennett and are in the process of gathering more information. Because this is an ongoing legal matter, we will have no further comment at this time.”
Stay tuned for more updates on this situation. Check back often.