The Philadelphia Eagles will travel down to New Orleans this weekend to play the Saints. Do the Eagles actually have a chance or are they walking right into a blowout? I got together with John Stolnis to talk about the game — and the state of the Eagles as a whole following their disappointing loss to the Cowboys — on the latest episode of BGN Radio.
EAGLES VS. SAINTS
* Eagles status report: At 4-5, tied with the Cowboys, 2 games behind Washington
* We said last week’s game was a must-win... therefore... this Eagles season is now over. Do you still feel that way?
* Eagles playoff odds now stands at 16.1%... behind Dallas’ 17.1%... Washington now at 74.9% ... only 6 teams have worse odds
* Stolnis mentioned the Jeff Garcia 2006 Eagles in a post this week and got largely ratio’d for it... but that team started off 5-6 and ran the table to go 10-6... but they didn’t have teams like the Rams and Saints on their schedule -- or this many injuries
* Philadelphia has the hardest schedule left this season -- Washington 2nd easiest
* Jason Kelce pins the blame for the 4-5 start on a lack of accountability -- noting some veterans like Brent Celek, LeGarrett Blount and others knew what their jobs were and how to do it -- is Kelce right?
* How much of this team’s struggles are due to the loss of Frank Reich and John DeFilipo -- and how is Doug doing this year?
* Ben Solak mentioned something interesting, that it felt like Doug was calling plays in a way to treat Carson Wentz with kid gloves -- to protect him... anything to that?
* Pederson said Sidney Jones and Tim Jernigan could play this week against the Saints
* Mike Wallace out of his walking boot but hasn’t started running yet -- by the time this guy is able to play, this season is likely to already be over (was a 10-12 week injury)
* DNP on Thursday: CB Jalen Mills, Sproles
* Limited: Lane Johnson and Haloti Ngata
* Sidney Jones was a full participant... looks like he’ll be a full go and we’ll get a good look at him on the outside... does he get Michael Thomas this week?
* Saints scoring a league high 36.7 pts per game -- Eagles are 21st at 22 per game -- almost a TD less than last year
* Eagles have scored just 21 first quarter points this year -- fewest in the NFL -- What is the problem with the game script? Is it the playcalling, execution or both?
* A lack of turnovers is forcing the Eagles to go on long drives repeatedly -- they’re averaging more yards per play than last year, and last week aside, Wentz is having his best season
* Drew Brees is ridiculous -- 123.8 rating (best in NFL), Wentz is 108.5 at 7th
* Carson Wentz having a great season by the numbers -- but you hear some saying he hasn’t had an elite season -- has Wentz been elite this year?
* Wentz averaging more yards per game (306.9 to 289.0).
* How do the Eagles stop Brees... and Michael Thomas... and Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram? -- IS THERE ANYTHING JIM SCHWARTZ CAN DO???
* Drew Brees has connected with Michael Thomas on an astounding 89.5 percent of his throws to him this season. That would be the highest completion percentage for any QB-WR duo in the last 15 years, per @ESPNStatsInfo
* The team signed Brandon Marshall to make a contribution, should we expect anything big from him this week?
* THE NOISE -- The team pumped in crowd noise to help them deal with the Superdome crowd
NFC EAST PICKS
* Dallas at Atlanta (-3.5)
* Houston (-3) at Washington - this is the last winning team the Redskins will face this year
* Tampa (-1) at NY Giants
* KANSAS CITY AT RAMS (-3) - SUPER BOWL PREVIEW???
EAGLES VS. SAINTS PICK
In short, is there any rationale one can make to pick the Eagles this week?
You can CLICK HERE to listen to this episode or use the embedded player below:
Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS
Reminder: Since we were forced to create an entirely new podcast feed, we could really use your support. We kindly ask that you SUBSCRIBE, RATE, and REVIEW! Doing so helps us accomplish cool things like becoming a top five podcast in the Apple Podcast store. And that helps us reach more Eagles fans out there in the world.
Up next: We have another episode of The Kist & Solak Show coming your way in time for the weekend!
Make sure you subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also please follow @BGN_Radio on Twitter.