Today marked the 19th day of 2017 Philadelphia Eagles training camp practice. The Eagles didn’t wear pads today. Let’s get right to my notes.
• Injury updates: Alshon Jeffery was a full participant in practice. Wendell Smallwood returned to practice in full. Same for Ron Brooks, Halipoulivaati Vaitai, and Anthony Denham. Jason Peters is also back after being excused for personal reasons last week. Derek Barnett (lower body) was out today but Doug Pederson said he’s “day-to-day” and should be back soon. Eagles players still out include: Bryce Treggs (legs), Paul Turner (shoulder), Josh Andrews (hand).
• On Saturday, Eagles wide receiver coach Mike Groh said Alshon Jeffery was mentally “behind” after missing practice in camp. On Sunday, Jeffery did not look behind. The team’s No. 1 wide receiver made a number of great catches on throws from Carson Wentz.
The first one was on a play where Jeffery burned Rasul Douglas on a double move. Jeffery does a really good job of selling these routes. Wentz also deserves credit for shaking off coverage with a really good pump fake before airing it out deep to Jeffery for a big gain.
Jeffery caught a contested pass after running a curl route. Mitchell White wasn’t even in bad position; Jeffery just jumped up and caught the ball. There was nothing White could really do. Alshon is just really good and makes contested catches look easy.
Wentz hit Jeffery in the back right corner of the end zone on a fade pass for a touchdown. Once again, multiple defenders were covering Jeffery but it didn’t matter. Wentz connected with Jeffery again in the back left corner of the end zone for a touchdown. This connection was unstoppable in the red zone.
• Wentz did have a couple of throws meant for Jeffery that went high. The two connected more often than they didn’t, however.
• Wentz tricked the defense on a QB keeper and ran for a decent gain.
• Wentz spent time after practice running sprints and getting some extra throwing work in.
• Smallwood isn’t showing any lingering effects of injury. The second-year running back had good burst on his runs in practice today. Smallwood worked in with the first team offense during group install and practice drills. The Eagles lined up Smallwood in the backfield on a 3rd-and-3 situation and had Wentz throw to him over the middle for a first down. He’s not getting cut.
• Nick Foles looked like a lot like Nick Foles today. Had a pass in the end zone knocked down by Rodney McLeod, threw a pick over the middle to Malcolm Jenkins, and didn’t exactly threaten the defense on a QB keeper (in case you missed it, he’s slow). With this in mind, he’s still better than Matt McGloin.
• McGloin threw a pass directly to Joe Walker. It would have been a pretty nice throw if that’s who he meant to throw to.
• Nelson Agholor dropped a short pass in the flat. Season over.
• Big V took reps at first team left tackle with the Eagles resting Peters during certain periods. Lane Johnson was at right tackle.
• Shelton Gibson made a nice catch over the middle in the end zone with his arms extended above his hand. Gibson’s definitely made progress from where he was at the start of camp. Good to see the young kid bounce back.
• David Watford almost made a really good contested catch on a fade pass in the end zone. C.J. Smith knocked it out as the two went to the ground, though.
• Tim Jernigan regularly generated pressure.
• Rasul Douglas was slow to get up after colliding with Najee Goode and Gibson over the middle but he returned to practice shortly after leaving the field.
• Caleb Sturgis did he best to quell concerns by going 8 for 8 in field goal kicks. His makes were from 33, 35, 37, 39, 41, 43, 45, and 47.
• Rashard Davis made a nice diving catch in the end zone. Then he fumbled on a screen reception.
• Check out video of Eagles practice via the Bleeding Green Nation Facebook page (click here or watch below).
LIVE FROM EAGLES PRACTICE IN PHILLY!Dikirim oleh Bleeding Green Nation: For Philadelphia Eagles Fans pada 20 Agustus 2017
• Check out video of Doug Pederson’s press conference via the Bleeding Green Nation Facebook page (click here or watch below).
EAGLES head coach talking nowPosted by Bleeding Green Nation: For Philadelphia Eagles Fans on Sunday, August 20, 2017
• Check out a moment from Swoop’s press conference below.
Swoop says the Eagles are going undefeated and winning the Super Bowl this year. pic.twitter.com/P2umb7SbLj— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) August 20, 2017
Did you know the Swoop suit makes chirping noises? I did not.
Up next: The Eagles will hold their first of two joint training camp practices against the Miami Dolphins tomorrow. The two teams will be in full pads but there will be no live tackling sessions. Stay tuned to BGN for more coverage.