Today marked the 18th day of 2017 Philadelphia Eagles training camp practice. Today was a 10-10-10 session, which means it was a lighter day. It also means the offense/defense is set up to succeed in certain situations, so don’t freak out about Wentz throwing picks. Let’s get right to my notes.
• Injury updates: Alshon Jeffery practiced. Fletcher Cox (back spasms) returned to practice. Nick Foles (elbow) didn’t seem to be limited. Wendell Smallwood (hamstring) did a little team drill work but he wasn’t a full participant. Brandon Brooks (ankle) got some work in during team drills. Jason Peters was excused from practice due to personal reasons. Still out: Halapoulivaati Vaitai (knee), Ron Brooks (hamstring), Paul Turner (shoulder), Josh Andrews (hand), Anthony Denham (calf), and Bryce Treggs (calf). Those preceding players could be unlikely to suit up on Thursday night.
• 11-on-11 began with Alshon Jeffery dropping an over-the-shoulder catch attempt on a pass from Carson Wentz. The season is officially over.
• Jeffery had a real nice catch later in practice. Wentz threw a pass over the middle that looked like it could have been intercepted by C.J. Smith because it was right to him. But Jeffery got there to intercept the interception.
• Smith did come up with a nice pick on a play where Wentz threw towards a receiver along the sideline. He tipped the ball in the air before coming down with it. Smith might not be ideal starter material but he’s shown he’s worth keeping around as a backup.
• Ronald Darby broke up a Foles pass intended for Shelton Gibson in the end zone. Darby makes plays on the ball like it’s his job. (It is.)
• Rodney McLeod almost came up with a pick on a Foles pass meant for Billy Brown.
• Nelson Agholor looked good catching the ball yet again. Wentz connected with him on a 50-yard touchdown through the air. Now let’s see that in a game.
• Jalen Mills had a good pass breakup today. He had several of those yesterday. The combination of him and Darby have looked good in practice since the trade was made.
• With Peters out, Lane Johnson lined up at left tackle. Big V would have been at right tackle if he wasn’t hurt. Instead, it was Matt Tobin with the first team.
• Marcus Johnson made a nice leaping catch along the sideline. I’m really interested to see how he looks in game action this week.
• The Eagles ran a pony formation today. Wentz was lined up under center with Darren Sproles a couple yards back him. Then Donnel Pumphrey was lined up another couple yards behind Sproles. The play itself wasn’t noteworthy but the formation was an interesting look that the team has occasionally shown throughout offseason practices. Here’s what it looked like.
Wait, no, that’s not right. Here you go.
• Corey Clement had a nice run on a toss play. He received perfect blocking.
• Tre Sullivan tipped a Wentz pass that got picked off by Chris Maragos. Sullivan isn’t just a big hitter; he also shows some good range in coverage, as Jonny Page pointed out recently. I think the Eagles will try to keep him on the practice squad. Philadelphia has some real nice depth at safety.
• Newly signed Eagles wide receiver Keevan Lucas, who is wearing the No. 81 jersey, dropped a pass. Byron Marshall also had a pretty bad drop in the backfield.
• Here’s how you know it was a slow day: I’m including a note about how I saw Joe Walker pretend to pick up a bug and eat it during warmups. It was a big bug. I don’t know exactly what it was though. I’m surprised Walker didn’t end up eating it since he seems like a tough, wild dude who would do that kind of thing. OK, this was a dumb observation.
• Check out video of Eagles practice via the Bleeding Green Nation Facebook page (click here or watch below).
LIVE FROM EAGLES PRACTICE!Posted by Bleeding Green Nation: For Philadelphia Eagles Fans on Tuesday, August 15, 2017
• Check out video of Carson Wentz’s press conference via the Bleeding Green Nation Facebook page (click here or watch below).
CARSON WENTZ: EAGLES QB SPEAKING NOWPosted by Bleeding Green Nation: For Philadelphia Eagles Fans on Tuesday, August 15, 2017
• Check out video of Doug Pederson’s press conference via the Bleeding Green Nation Facebook page (click here or watch below).
EAGLES HC Doug Pederson speaking now:Posted by Bleeding Green Nation: For Philadelphia Eagles Fans on Tuesday, August 15, 2017
Up next: The Eagles have a walk-through closed to media/fans tomorrow before playing their second preseason game on Thursday night. Stay tuned to BGN for more coverage.