After skipping the entirety of Philadelphia’s voluntary offseason workout program this spring, Jason Peters showed up to Eagles mandatory minicamp practice on Tuesday. The team’s starting left tackle spoke with reporters following practice and explained the reasoning behind his absence was partially contract related.
"I want to retire here,” said Peters. “I don't want to go year to year."
Peters, who turned 35 in January, currently has one year left on his deal after 2017. He can easily be cut following this season, however, for a savings of $10.25 million compared to only $1 million in dead money.
The Eagles can currently release Peters to save $9.7 million compared to only $2 million in dead money. Philadelphia obviously won’t do that at this point; Peters is still a key piece on this team. The Eagles did reportedly ask him to take a pay cut earlier this offseason, though. Peters seemingly refused ... but he’s still here.
Peters said he won’t be holding out of training camp in hopes for a new contract. Rather, he said his agent and the Eagles have been working on negotiations.
Peters is seeking more guaranteed money in order to ensure his stability in Philadelphia. Perhaps he can come to an agreement with the Eagles where he gets more guaranteed money while the team is able to lower his $11.25 million cap hit in 2018.
Though aging, Peters is still playing at a high level. Offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland recently said Peters had his best year in 2016 since Stoutland joined the team in 2013. He’s still a key part of this team’s success when it comes to protecting Carson Wentz’s blindside.
Still, the Eagles have to be cautious about how they handle Peters moving forward. He turns 36 right after this season ends.