The Philadelphia Eagles have officially announced jersey numbers for their picks from the 2017 NFL Draft. Here's a look at what numbers the new rookies will be wearing.
DE Derek Barnett - 96
CB Sidney Jones - 22
CB Rasul Douglas - 32
WR Mack Hollins - 10
RB Donnel Pumphrey - 34
WR Shelton Gibson - 80
LB Nathan Gerry - 47
DT Elijah Qualls - 98
High-level jersey number analysis
- We’ve known Derek Barnett’s number for a bit now. He’ll be taking Bennie Logan’s old jersey. The last Eagles player to wear No. 96 and play defensive end was ... Al Wallace in 1998. Barnett wore No. 9 in college, so now his jersey incorporates that number plus the same number turned upside down (into a six).
- No. 22 seems like a nice choice for Sidney Jones. It’s been worn by some of the more talented corners in relatively recent Eagles history: Asante Samuel and Brandon Boykin. Nolan Carroll wore it in 2016. Jones wore No. 26 in college.
- I predicted to the BGN Radio crew Rasul Douglas would end up with No. 32. He just seems like the kind of corner who would wear a number in the 30’s. 32 was last worn by Eric Rowe. Douglas wore No. 13 in college.
- 10 for Mack Hollins is a curious choice. I thought that would be a better number for Shelton Gibson. But instead it’s Hollins who is taking Chase Daniel’s old number. And DeSean Jackson’s old number. Hollins wore No. 13 in college.
- I don’t love No. 34 for Pumphrey. I think a number in the 20’s would have been cooler for a small back such as himself. The last five Eagles running backs to wear No. 34 include: Kenjon Barner, Bryce Brown, Ronnie Brown, Eldra Buckley, Reno Mahe. With all due respect, let’s hope Pumphrey is much better than those guys. Pumphrey wore No. 19 in college.
- I feel like Gibson and Hollins should switch numbers. It would have been fun to see the player who has drawn a poor man’s DeSean Jackson comparison get DJacc’s old number as well. The No. 80 jersey was last worn by Eagles legend PAUL TURNER before PT changed to No. 19 last season. Gibson wore No. 1 in college, which is all the more reason why he should have gotten No. 10.
- Nathan Gerry definitely has the worst jersey number of any rookie player with No. 47. Last Eagles player to wear that was tight end Trey Burton prior to his switch to No. 88 this offseason. According to Pro Football Reference, the Eagles have never had a linebacker wear No. 47. Gerry is breaking ground here. The former safety wore No. 25 in college.
- Elijah Qualls is going to take Connor Barwin’s old number: No. 98. Not a bad choice at all. Qualls wore No. 11 in college.
Stay tuned for more rookie jersey numbers for the team’s 10 undrafted free agent signings.