The Eagles picked up Alshon Jeffery on a reasonable one-year deal this offseason. Williams -- who's basically a clone of Jeffery from when he came out of South Carolina -- would benefit from not having to be the focal point of an offense from day one. His route running is still pretty raw.
Huh. Williams isn’t really thought to be a primary Eagles target, but a lot of recent mock drafts have connected him to the Eagles. The MMQB’s Peter King had the Eagles taking Gareon Conley (before the allegations) but mentioned Williams could be in play. Mike Mayock revealed his mock last night and had Philadelphia taking Williams.
So maybe Williams is the guy? I don’t really expect it, but who knows at this point with just hours to go.
Here’s are some more interesting notes from McShay’s mock:
- Mitch Trubisky, NOT Myles Garrett, goes off the board with the No. 1 overall pick. There’s been buzz about the Browns really doing that, which would be great news for the Eagles. The more quarterbacks who go off the board before pick No. 14, the better.
- Christian McCaffrey goes off the board at No. 8.
- Everyone’s favorite potential Eagles pick, Charles Harris, goes off the board to the Saints at No. 11. Mayock also has Harris going there. If the Eagles take him at No. 14, you can’t say no one had him going in the first round.
- Derek Barnett off the board one pick behind Harris at No. 12.
- Notable players the Eagles passed on: Dalvin Cook, Corey Davis, Marlon Humphrey, Kevin King, and John Ross.