Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
2016 Recap: The Buccaneers had a down then up season. They started the season 1-3 with a win then losses their next 3 games including a loss to the Rams at home and 2 blow outs. Things got better from their eventually winning 5 in a row in November-December and ended with a 9-7 record. They have the QB, now it is time to add talent to the roster.
Needs: RB, OT, S, WR, TE
Who it came down to and reason for passing:
-Dalvin Cook, RB FSU-Local product, Jamis Winston's former teammate has too many question marks after the combine and pro day. The biggest being if he can hold up to the wear and tear of the NFL. This reminds me of the Indianapolis Pacers dilemma in the 1987 NBA draft. Fans wanted the team to draft local player, who lead IU to the national championship--Steve Alford, BUT the GM took a better option—Reggie Miller. Let the GM, GM!
Ryan Ramczyk, OT Wisc.-Virtually the Carson Wentz of the NFL draft this year. Started D-III and eventually transferred to Wisconsin. Only played 1 year D-1 but he was dominant. In the end Ramczyk is too hard to spell and too inexperienced for me.
-WR-Would have looked at Ross before Desean Jackson was signed. BUT he was already drafted. *Thanks to whoever picked Juju "NA" Schuster with the previous pick? At least I will have a higher approval rating than someone
-David Njoku, TE Miami-He is also inexperienced, still splitting starts this past year. He is an athletic freak but too raw for me to draft this early. Cameron Brate, and his 8 TD's in '16, has also established himself as one of Winston's security blanket along with Evans.
Jabrill Peppers, S Michigan
Positives- Peppers is a student of the game and has great awareness instincts. He only gave up 1 passing TD in his college career. He has great closing speed and is a solid open field tackler. He plays with a mean streak, the way you want a safety to play.
He had 16 TFL last year. He is the most versatile player in the draft. The NFL is all about matchups and Peppers will be able to match up with WR, TE, RB, in pass coverage and able to rush the passer or come up to stop the run. Jim Harbaugh has said that Peppers is the defensive version of Andrew Luck. I trust what Harbaugh says. (Conspiracy theory—Colts draft Peppers in the 1st round and make a strong push to hire Jim Harbaugh next offseason. They will have his 2 best former college players.) He is Sproles good at special teams. Yeah, I know what I just typed.
Negatives- He doesn't have a set position. He has that "tweener" label and a lot of teams are not smart enough to put their players in a position to succeed, instead hammering a square peg in a round hole. He also has a label as a ball hawk but only had 1 interception in his career at Michigan. People compare Peppers to Woodson, no one in this draft is as good as Woodson.
Reason for the pick - Tampa Bay lost one of their starting safeties (Brad McDougald) to the Seahawks, signed JJ Wilcox from Dal (ouch), and has a 175lb CB (Ryan Smith) starting at safety on their depth chart. They need help at the safety position and a lot of it! Step in Jabrill Peppers. Jabrill choose the team instead of his NFL stock this year at Michigan. LB was an area of weakness this year for Michigan and the coaching staff asked him to fill in. That is the type of player I want on my team. He will do whatever he can do to help his team at any position on the field. He was a top recruit coming out of high school and did nothing to hurt his future in the NFL. This kid is going to be a STAR in the NFL. In 5 years when Mel Kiper redrafts the 2017 draft, Peppers will be in the top 5(where he was projected going into the year as a safety).
Sorry no spider graph at safety but he has great measurables.
Arm Length 30.75"
Hands 9 5/8"
40 yd. dash 4.46
Broad Jump 128"
Bench 19 reps
2017 BGN Mock Draft Order
1) Browns (JALupowitz): Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
2) 49ers (sports00fan00): Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
3) Bears (gubby): Jonathan Allen, DT, Alabama
4) Jaguars (TheWhalwing): Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
5) Titans (drc242): Jamal Adams, S, LSU
6) Jets (boomorbust): Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
7) Chargers (NowWhat?): Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
8) Panthers (B-Potts): Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
9) Bengals (Kiko’s Delivery Service): Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
10) Bills (jimmyrustler): O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
11) Saints (NotSoSlick): Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
12) Browns (Straight Edge Sid): Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
13) Cardinals (Paulie97): Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
14) Eagles (ablesser88): Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
15) Colts (mconner96): Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
16) Ravens (The Man, The Myth, the Matthews!): Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
17) Washington (kbruneault): John Ross, WR, Washington
18) Titans (mchiodo): JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR USC
19) Buccaneers (ei78): Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
20) Broncos (NVEaglesShark):
21) Lions (Shark Fighter):
22) Dolphins (J. Wil):
23) Giants (BigWardy59):
24) Raiders (big DUB):
25) Texans (GotFunds):
26) Seahawks (Rogmcc23):
27) Chiefs (B1G Cat):
28) Cowboys (RegalEagle):
29) Packers (Wutang_):
30) Steelers (General_Lee12):
31) Falcons (SirJon):
32) Saints (Huffs_cellmate):