John Ross, WR, Washington
There is one reason that this makes complete and total sense
If that isn't enough then keep reading.
First off, the Washington Redskins are many pieces away from being the best in the NFC East. They are currently the worst, so were not expecting a huge jump based off one draft, however John Ross is a game changer. The Redskins need a lot of help on defense, they could use DB help, LB help and DT help. They addressed a lot of this in free agency, but need more help. The one position I would say they do not need too much help in is WR. So why go Ross?
Well in the draft at the time he was BPA, which I think is nuts. He should have never made it to 17, but he did so I was not passing on him. John Ross on the field is one of very few players in this draft that requires a specific defensive game plan from day one. As an Eagles fan it would scare the crap out of me to see across from our unknown CB's the size of Terelle Pryor, Brian Quick, and the speed of John Ross, and Jamison Crowder... How do you stop that? And don't forget about one of the best pass catching TE's in Jordan Reed.
I think everyone can agree John Ross is great value at 17, but my biggest fight is going to be to prove that he is the right pick for that team. So let's examine what else I could have done. First off the best DB's on the board at that point were Peppers, Humphrey, and Conley. To me there are so many DB's in this draft that none of them jump off the page as a must grab or leaps and bounds better than what you can get in round 2. So I passed on them. The only player's that really tempted me at this pick were the QBs. With the ongoing cluster the Redskins have made out of the QB room I would not be shocked to see them go QB in the first round. To draft Trubisky and sit him one year would do them wonders, the only concern I have is somehow they will mess that situation up too. Somehow Redskins will find a way to take two young QB's who both play at a high level and screw them both over.
I really do believe they need to work out a deal with Kirk Cousins, and that is the main reason I did not go QB. If they draft a QB it definitely means Cousins is done in Was, and I do not see a QB who is better than Cousins in this draft.
So there's my argument. I understand some people will not like adding more offensive weapons when the defense needs work, but very rarely do you get a game changer at pick 17. John Ross is a game changer. Don't think so? Just watch:
2017 BGN Mock Draft Order
1) Browns (JALupowitz): Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
2) 49ers (sports00fan00): Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
3) Bears (gubby): Jonathan Allen, DT, Alabama
4) Jaguars (TheWhalwing): Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
5) Titans (drc242): Jamal Adams, S, LSU
6) Jets (boomorbust): Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
7) Chargers (NowWhat?): Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
8) Panthers (B-Potts): Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
9) Bengals (Kiko’s Delivery Service): Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
10) Bills (jimmyrustler): O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
11) Saints (NotSoSlick): Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
12) Browns (Straight Edge Sid): Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
13) Cardinals (Paulie97): Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
14) Eagles (ablesser88): Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
15) Colts (mconner96): Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
16) Ravens (The Man, The Myth, the Matthews!): Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
17) Washington (kbruneault): John Ross, WR, Washington
18) Titans (mchiodo):
19) Buccaneers (ei78):
20) Broncos (NVEaglesShark):
21) Lions (Shark Fighter):
22) Dolphins (J. Wil):
23) Giants (BigWardy59):
24) Raiders (big DUB):
25) Texans (GotFunds):
26) Seahawks (Rogmcc23):
27) Chiefs (B1G Cat):
28) Cowboys (RegalEagle):
29) Packers (Wutang_):
30) Steelers (General_Lee12):
31) Falcons (SirJon):
32) Saints (Huffs_cellmate):