There are only 31 days until the 2017 NFL Draft begins on Thursday, April 27. Exactly one more month to go! Let’s kill some time until then with our weekly Mock Draft Monday series.
SB Nation’s Dan Kadar had the Philadelphia Eagles taking a cornerback with the No. 14 overall pick in last week’s mock. This week’s mock is different. It’s two rounds deep and has the Eagles taking a wide receiver with their first round pick.
14. Philadelphia Eagles: Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
We’ve often seen Williams mocked to the Eagles this offseason. The Birds also hosted him on an official pre-draft visit in Philadelphia.
My stance all along is that Williams is a nice player, but I’m not crazy about him for the Eagles. His jump ball skills are a little redundant now that the Eagles have Alshon Jeffery. It might not be the worst idea in the world to have two players with that ability, but I’d rather the Eagles focus on a receiver who brings a different skill set. I think John Ross could be a better option for the Eagles at No. 14. He goes off the board at No. 18 in this mock. The injuries scare me, but I love his deep speed. The Eagles brought in Torrey Smith to give them a deep threat but after a few down years in San Francisco it wouldn’t hurt for the Eagles to hedge their bet on the veteran pass catcher.
In the second round of this week’s mock, the Eagles address another big need: cornerback.
43. Philadelphia Eagles: Teez Tabor, CB, Florida
There’s been talk of Tabor going in the first round (at the Eagles’ pick, even) so who knows if Teez will last this long. But if he does, I’m not opposed to this pick. Tabor’s poor Combine is definitely a concern, but turn on the tape and you see a pretty good player. Tabor has that competitive Jim Schwartz loves and he’s a Florida guy so Howie Roseman is totally going to pick him (#GatorBias).
A few other notes from this week’s mock:
- Along with passing up on Ross, this mock also has the Eagles notably passing on Reuben Foster, Dalvin Cook, Christian McCaffrey and Marlon Humphrey.
- This mock projects three quarterbacks off the board before Philadelphia’s pick. The Eagles would love the actual draft to play out that way. The more quarterbacks gone before their pick, the better.
- Corey Davis is drafted at No. 9 in this mock.
- Sidney Jones is selected by the Saints one pick ahead of the Eagles in the second round.
- The Eagles pass on Adoree’ Jackson, Fabian Moreau, and Tre’Davious White in order to select Tabor in the second round.
So what do you think? Do you like these two picks for the Eagles?