Week Twelve of the 2017 college football season is here! Today features a good slate of games and always with good games comes great opportunities for NFL Draft prospects to boost their profile. Who should Eagles fans keep an eye on today?
- Maurice Hurst, Defensive Tackle, Michigan: One of the better interior players in the country, Hurst has enjoyed a dominant season and has an excellent chance to continue to finish strong. Against Wisconsin (12 PM ET on Fox) and their incredible running game, Hurst has to be disruptive to make sure Jonathan Taylor and company don’t run all over the Wolverines. Michigan has the best chance this season of spoiling Wisconsin’s perfect season and that might start and end with how Hurst plays today.
- Deshon Elliott, Safety, Texas: Elliott has enjoyed a breakout season this year; totally six interceptions, 8.5 TFLs and three forced fumbles to this point in the year. The 6’2”, 200 pound defender has a tall build and an aggressive, playmaking mindset. Today’s match up with WVU (12 PM ET on ESPN) will feature a lot of points, but Elliott can have a hand in slowing down an explosive Mountaineer offense. Their running game and passing game both need attention, so a complete game will be needed from Elliott to keep Texas in the game.
- Avonte Maddox, Cornerback, Pitt: Pitt has had a down season this year, but they still have some notable defenders on their defense. Maddox is diminutive at 5’9”, but is a feisty cornerback with a will to hit and ball skills. Virginia Tech (12:20 PM ET on ACCN) comes to town with an offense unafraid to throw the ball down the field. Pitt’s chances of pulling an upset are slim, but things could go their way if Maddox pays his best.
- Steve Ishmael, Wide Receiver, Syracuse: Steve Ishmael is one of this season’s break out players. The 6’2” receiver already has over 90 receptions this year and 1,100 yards. He is a technically sound and tough player who is unafraid at all levels of the field. Ishmael will be facing a Louisville defense (3:30 PM ET on ESPNU) that features a lot of solid players. A strong game could help Syracuse with an upset and also help further put Ishmael on the map.
- Jessie Bates, Safety, Wake Forrest: Jessie Bates had an outstanding, Freshman All-American season last year where the 6’2”, 210 pound defender had 70 solo tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss, five interceptions and a forced fumble. The redshirt sophomore has incredible size and instincts on the football field and should be returning from injury today against an NC State team (7:30 PM ET on ESPNU) with a strong offense. Bates may not be at full strength, but he could still turn in a performances that shocks NC State and gets Wake Forrest the win.