Week Five of the 2017 college football season is here! Today features a good slate of games and always with good games comes great opportunities for NFL Draft prospects to boost their profile. Who should Eagles fans keep an eye on today?
- Mitch Hyatt, Offensive Tackle, Clemson: Mitch Hyatt is an important part of Clemson’s success on offense. The 6’5”, 300 pound junior is a nasty player who is among the top offensive linemen in the country. With Wake Forrest coming to town (12 PM ET on ESPN2), Hyatt Will need to face one of the better pass rushers in the country in Duke Ejiofor. Ejiofor and the rest of Wake Forrest have been a thorn in the side of teams all season and Clemson could stumble into a tough game. Hyatt keeping the Demon Deacon line at bay will be crucial in helping Clemson avoid a trap game.
- Justin Crawford, Running Back, WVU: One of the more underrated backs in the country, Justin Crawford is an explosive player who is somehow the centerpiece of West Virginia’s pass heavy offense. Crawford has his work cut out for him today with WVU playing in the biggest game of the weekend against TCU (3:30 PM ET on FS1). TCU has bee playing great football this year and a strong game from Crawford will help WVU to a win and give him strong tape against top competition.
- Derrius Guice, Running Back, LSU: Derrius Guice has not enjoyed the season many expected from him, yet. After a monstrous sophomore year, Guice was poised to dominate college football since he would no longer be splitting carries with Leonard Fournette. However, injuries and surprisingly middling play have held him to only 314 yards on the ground at this point at 4.8 yards a carry, a low number for a top college back. Guice is expected to be back in the fold this week after missing LSU’s upset to Troy. Today, against Florida (3:30 PM ET on CBS), Guice has a chance for a breakout game against a big opponent. Florida always has a stingy defense and is still ranked for some reason. A big game from Guice could quiet concerns that he has taken a step back this year.
- Hercules Mata’afa, Edge Defender, Washington State: One of the coolest names in the country and also, probably, one of this draft’s most underrated prospects. The junior defender is an impressive athlete who is third in the country in tackles for a loss through five games. He is an explosive defender who can take over as a pass rusher or run defender at any moment. Washington State will have a formidable match up against Oregon (8 PM ET on Fox) and their productive run game. A strong game from Mata’afa will likely mean a win for the Cougars.
- Lowell Lotulelei, Defensive Lineman, Utah: If you're willing to stay up, Lowell Lotulelei and the Utes will take on Stanford (10:15 PM ET on FS1) in what should be a great match up. Lowell Lotulelei is a fantastic run defender and the 320 pound defensive tackle has a huge task ahead in slowing Bryce Love, the nation’s leading rusher by far. If Love gets loose tonight, the game is over, but Utah has a great chance if Lotulelei anchors a strong defensive effort against the Cardinal.