Saturday was the fifteenth day of 2016 Eagles training camp practice. Let's get right to my observations.
• Injury update: Carson Wentz didn't participate in team drills due to sore ribs. Doug Pederson expects him to return tomorrow. Elsewhere, some key players returned to practice in a limited role. Read more details here.
• The Eagles had pads on. I didn't envy them. It was miserably hot and humid outside. And despite the awful conditions, the Eagles practiced for over two hours and forty minutes.
I’m dead.— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) August 13, 2016
• Sam Bradford seemed mostly fine. He did have a few passes broken up, but no terrible mistakes.
• Chase Daniel was up and down. He threw a nice deep ball during WR vs. DB and then connected with David Watford, who made a sliding 20-yard catch, during team drills. Daniel threw a fade pass to Kenjon Barner (why?) that got broken up by Jaylen Watkins. For some reason Daniel really locked in on a covered Byron Marshall in the flat during a red zone drill instead of throwing to an open Trey Burton in the end zone.
• McLeod Bethel-Thompson filled in for Wentz.
• Offensive line lineup notes:
It's clear the Eagles expect Lane Johnson to be suspended. Philadelphia had Allen Barbre at starting right tackle on Saturday. Filling in at left guard in place of Barbre was rookie Isaac Seumalo. Johnson played at second team right tackle while Dennis Kelly moved from his usual spot to replace Seumalo at second team left guard.
• Nolan Carroll has had a nice camp. The veteran corner broke up a deep Bradford pass intended for Chris Givens today.
• Flecher Cox stuffed Byron Marshall during a goal line drill. The Eagles defense got really fired up. Brandon Graham got in Marshall's face and repeatedly yelled "Where you going!"
• Rookie offensive guard and former LSU tight end Dillon Gordon has stood out as good lead blocker in goal line situations. Could he be pushing for a spot at fullback?
• Some really bad drops in practice today from Zach Ertz, Brent Celek, Nelson Agholor, and Cayleb Jones.
• Jordan Hicks has looked good in coverage this summer. He also stood out in that area at this time last year.
• Nigel Bradham tipped a Bradford pass. He also had a really bad pass interference where he mauled Darren Sproles, who was running a wheel route, way down the field.
• Not a practice note, but I feel like I should mention here that celebrity Eagles fan Mark Hoppus mentioned Carson Wentz at the blink 182 concert last night. He asked the crowd if the young quarterback is going to be any good. Some people cheered while others seemed to have no idea what he was even talking about. Great show, by the way.
Up next: The Eagles will hold their second practice open to the public tomorrow evening at 7:00 PM ET. No tickets necessary, just show up to Lincoln Financial Field.