Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame
I realize this isn’t the expected pick and feel free to vote "NO" that you don’t agree with this pick but hear me out.
Colts Positions of needs- OL, LB, RB, DE, S, DT
Laquon Treadwell WR-The Colts could and possible will draft WR again in the 1st after taking Phillip Dorsett out of Miami last year.
Decker/Conklin OT-The Colts are actually ok with their OT situation with Castonzo as LT and Good/Reitz fighting it out for RT. Their bigger need is C and RG on the OL.
Cody Whitehair G-Will be 24 when the season starts. Let me tell you about old BIG12 guards drafted in the 1st round-see Danny Watkins(smacks self in face again).
Ryan Kelly C-I was up in the air between picking Kelly and Smith. Kelly has a round 2 grade but fills a HUGE hole up the middle for the Colts. I could see the Colts doing the same thing with Kelly that the Cowboys did with Travis Fredrick and reaching for a center. In the end I don’t think that Kelly is that far ahead of Martin(ND)/or Glasgow(Mich).
Jaylon Smith- read below
Reason for taking Smith
The Colts lost starter Jerrell Freeman ILB through free agency and have 35 y/o Robert Mathis, 33 y/o Trent Cole (still one of my favorites), and 30 y/o Erik Walden as the top 3 OLB. Jaylon can play either position and rush the QB or drop in coverage. Jaylon will be to the Colts D what Andrew Luck is to their O.
I am building the Colts to make their run starting in 2017. The Colts won’t be throwing in the towel this year, they still play in the even sicker than the NFCE, the AFC South. I realize Pagano and Grigson, both with their jobs on the line, will never make this pick. It is unusual for GM’s to look 2 years into the future in the NFL with their job on the line. January 1st, 2016 Jaylon Smith was a top pick in this draft if not #1 overall. He was the best player on the field every game he played 2014-15. #9 was everywhere making plays (and as one of the few Hoosiers that isn’t a ND football and IU Bball fan-"GO MICHIGAN") each and every ND game.
There is a good chance that Jaylon Smith won’t play in 2016. I DON’T CARE! He will be a perennial all-pro. "I will be 100% again" Jaylon Smith.
In an interview with the NFL Network- "Nerves heal on their own," Smith said. "From everything my doctor has said, I’ll be 100 percent, it’s just a matter of when."
Smith was walking without a limp at Notre Dame’s Pro Day and showed impressive upper-body strength, putting up 23 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press.
"I’m feeling normal again," Smith said. "The knee is doing great. The nerve is just a matter of everything coming back. But the rehab is going great. I’m squatting over 400 pounds; I’m leg pressing over 600 pounds. It’s just a matter of time. I’ll be fine."
The Colts should
Pick C/G in round 2 and 3. There will still be top 5 ranked players at each position in these rounds. These are the 2 biggest needs for the Colts but there is no need to reach in the first round. They will still be getting quality starters.
Jaylon Smith will be exactly what the Dolphins were thinking they were getting in Dion Jordan only with a high football IQ and positive
drug tests attitude.
In 2018, every team who passed on him will look back and shake their head.
2016 BGN Mock Draft Order
1) Titans (ablesser88) - Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss - [Explanation]
2) Browns ( Genius) - Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State - [Explanation]
3) Chargers (StoneColeKiller58) - Jared Goff, QB, Cal - [Explanation]
4) Cowboys (kamjam) - Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State - [Explanation]
5) Jaguars (drc242) - Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State - [Explanation]
6) Ravens (rohan915) - DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon - [Explanation]
7) 49ers (LAOJoe) - Myles Jack, LB, UCLA - [Explanation]
8) Eagles (slickpablovick) - Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame - [Explanation]
9) Buccaneers (OneBucFan47) - Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky - [Explanation]
10) Giants (Paulie97) - Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida - [Explanation]
11) Bears (Kiko's Delivery Service) - Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State - [Explanation]
12) Saints (kylebruneault) - Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson - [Explanation]
13) Dolphins (wildcatlh) - Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State - [Explanation]
14) Raiders (Luxury_Used_Vehicles_By_Braman) - Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State - [Explanation]
15) Rams (NowWhat?) - Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis - [Explanation]
16) Lions (bri g) - Jason Sprigs, OT, Indiana - [Explanation]
17) Falcons (thealien2696) - Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State - [Explanation]
18) Colts (ei78) - Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame - [Explanation]
19) Bills (naderg43) -
20) Jets (Quacking_Eagle) -
21) Washington (TheCoxishere) -
22) Texans (jeppsforst) -
23) Vikings (WScott151) -
24) Bengals (burkhart_b) -
25) Steelers (theaction) -
26) Seahawks (tfrank9811) -
27) Packers (3Trace) -
28) Chiefs (jawmo) -
N/A) Patriots - Cheaters
29) Cardinals (big DUB) -
30) Panthers (zatch2k) -
31) Broncos (JALupowitz) -