Geoff Mosher brings us an update on the Philadelphia Eagles' search for a new player personnel executive. Some interesting information here:
Per source with knowledge of the situation, Brandon Hunt is expected to talk to Tom Donahoe again today about the personnel opening.— Geoff Mosher (@GeoffMosherNFL) January 31, 2016
I'm told Eagles began search looking for a VP of personnel type to run scouting dept much like the title Tom Gamble held pre-firing.— Geoff Mosher (@GeoffMosherNFL) January 31, 2016
Hunt, who is Steelers pro personnel coordinator, isn't necessarily high enough on scouting chain to be a "VP" type and lead a department.— Geoff Mosher (@GeoffMosherNFL) January 31, 2016
Doesn't mean Eagles won't hire him but appear to be looking for someone with more experience, someone who can decide fate of current staff.— Geoff Mosher (@GeoffMosherNFL) January 31, 2016
Ideally, Eagles are looking for someone like Steelers director of fball admin Omar Khan, but I don't think Steelers are letting Omar go.— Geoff Mosher (@GeoffMosherNFL) January 31, 2016
A few thoughts ...
• We've already heard about the Eagles' interest in Hunt. It sounds like he might not be the perfect candidate, however, due to his relative lack of experience.
• This is the first time we've seen an actual title connected to the Eagles' personnel head job. "Vice president of player personnel" is what Ed Marynowitz held under Chip Kelly. It's also what Tom Gamble held while Howie Roseman was still general manager. This is probably just another sign of how Roseman has most, if not all, of the power.
• The problem with the Eagles wanting an experienced guy is ... why is that guy going to want to come to Philadelphia when he can potentially be in contention for a REAL general manager job?
• Might the Eagles hire more than one personnel guy? Adam Caplan suggested that a few weeks ago.
• The Eagles are reportedly set to make a decision soon. Stay tuned.