Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
Dan Snyder is dancing, he dropped, it actually friggin happened. Who needs an EDGE rushing OLB when you have potential franchise QB sitting there?
The Redskins get the guy that Chip Kelly probably wanted all along. He is Marcus Mariota. A Heisman Trophy Winner, all around good guy, amazing athlete. Sound familiar? Sounds like RG3 right? But RG3 isn't who he was a few years back and who knows if he can ever become that again, or if he can even stay healthy? You need to have a franchise QB in today's NFL if you want a shot at the Super Bowl. Mariota has the potential to be a big time game changing QB. He doesn't come without his flaws but the upside that he presents would be too much to pass up on.
Mariota has the size and arm strength to be a very good QB at the NFL level. He has WR-like straight line speed (4.52 40). He stands tall in the pocket, has a quick release, and is accurate. He is also agile enough to roll out of the pocket and throw on the run. He is highly intelligent. He doesn't throw picks, something Jay Gruden has to absolutely love about him. He has an incredible work ethic and is easy to coach.
The potential obstacle he'll face is becoming a prototypical pocket passer in Jay Gruden's offense. He has only known the Oregon spread offense. He most likely would need time to develop in this system and that is not necessarily what you want to have to wait for out of a top five 1st round pick in today's NFL. He has shown to have average pocket presence at times. Has not shown he can throw the ball into tight windows. He has the tendency to hold on to the ball for too long trying to make a play. He rarely, if ever, took a snap under center at Oregon. The good news though is many of these weaknesses can be coached and rectified.
Vic Beasley would still be on the board. With no more Orakpo he would have filled an immediate need and most likely would be a Pro Bowl caliber player possibly in his first year. But a franchise QB is a must, and even with RG3 the Redskins still don't have one. Mariota is going to be very good but he'll need some time to develop.
1) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (slickpablovick) - Jameis Winston, QB, FSU - [Explanation]
2) Tennessee Titans (mchiodo) - Leonard Williams, DE, USC - [Explanation]
3) Jacksonville Jaguars ("Snax") - Dante Fowler Jr., OLB, UF - [Explanation]
4) Oakland Raiders (kylebruneault) - Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama - [Explanation]
5) Washington Redskins (BigTimeTMZ) - Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon - [Explanation]
6) New York Jets (4thand26) -
7) Chicago Bears (rohan915) -
8) Atlanta Falcons (GMinTraining) -
9) New York Giants (Grandpapa Joe) -
10) St. Louis Rams (deg0ey) -
11) Minnesota Vikings (ablesser88) -
12) Cleveland Browns (djcunningham) -
13) New Orleans Saints (del.champion) -
14) Miami Dolphins (drc242) -
15) San Francisco 49ers (SleepingDuck) -
16) Houston Texans (JaviYL) -
17) San Diego Chargers (StoneColeKiller58) -
18) Kansas City Chiefs (jimmyrustler) -
19) Cleveland Browns (NowWhat?) -
20) Philadelphia Eagles (sports00fan00) -
21) Cincinnati Bengals (Zach_The_Gamecock) -
22) Pittsburgh Steelers (KJ Brophy) -
23) Detroit Lions (KamiKazeJEDI) -
24) Arizona Cardinals (ItownBallers22) -
25) Carolina Panthers (AndyMcNabb) -
26) Baltimore Ravens (dceagles) -
27) Dallas Cowboys (kamjam) -
28) Denver Broncos (WubbaLubbaDubDub) -
29) Indianapolis Colts (ei78) -
30) Green Bay Packers (Nka727) -
31) New Orleans Saints (SwoopThereItIs) -
32) New England Patriots (naderg43) -