clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Eagles vs. Redskins Final Score: Philadelphia loses ugly game to Washington, 23-20

The Philadelphia Eagles were by defeated the Washington Redskins on Sunday at FedEx Field by a final score of 23-20. The Eagles dropped to 1-3 on the 2015 NFL regular season. Read on for a recap of the game. Up next for Philadelphia is a home game against the New Orleans Saints.

Brad Mills-USA TODAY Sports

The Philadelphia Eagles were defeated by the Washington Redskins on Sunday by a final score of 23 to 20. The Eagles are now 1-3 on the 2015 NFL season.

Philadelphia won the toss and decided to put their defense on the field first. The Eagles looked primed to get a stop after forcing Washington into 3rd-and-19 in their own territory but then allowed a 42-yard draw run due to terrible tackling. Philadelphia's defense made up for their mistakes by forcing a stop in the red zone to only allow three points. Credit Jordan Hicks and Malcolm Jenkins with key tackles.

The Eagles offense got off to a predictably bad start. Sam Bradford underthrew Darren Sproles, who dropped the pass, on first down. Then Ryan Mathews, who started in place of DeMarco Murray, got stuffed. On third down, Matt Tobin got blown up in pass protection and allowed a sack. Trifecta of offensive awfulness.

After Washington scored another field goal, Philadelphia's offense took over for a second drive. The first play ... a 30-yard gain by DeMarco Murray?! Who knew that could happen? But that was the extent of Philadelphia's offensive success. Not too long after, the Eagles had to punt.

Failures by the Eagles offense gave the Redskins more offensive opportunities. Washington's second scoring drive of the day was aided by a terrible pass interference call on Eric Rowe in the end zone. An accidental Kirk Cousins fumble turned into a rushing touchdown and gave Washington the 13-0 lead.

You might not believe this, but Bradford actually attempted a deep pass in the second quarter! And it was complete! Rookie Nelson Agholor made a sweet one-handed catch on the play. Just when the Eagles actually did something right on offense, it was all wiped away thanks to Agholor fumbling an end around handoff from Mathews. What a joke. Washington recovered.

Thankfully for the Eagles, the defense stepped up again and allowed the offense to get the ball back before the half. A Darren Sproles punt return set up Philadelphia with good field position. The Eagles moved into the red zone and even scored a touchdown! Really great, accurate throw from Bradford to Zach Ertz. But it was wiped out by an illegal formation penalty, because of course. To top it all off, new kicker Caleb Sturgis missed a chip shot field goal from 33 yards out. A fitting way to end the first half.

Just when you thought the Eagles offense was dead, Riley Cooper stepped up to save the day. Wait, what? Yeah. Bradford hit Cooper on a deep ball (!) for a 62-yard touchdown. Sturgis would go on to miss the extra point attempt. Not exactly a good start with his new team.

Another stop by the Eagles' defense allowed the offense to get back on the field. Bradford hit Jordan Matthews with an absolutely gorgeous throw over the middle. A bad unnecessary roughness penalty on Washington gave the Eagles more free yards to move them into scoring position. From there, the apparently elusive Bradford dodged a Ryan Kerrigan sack and scrambled to find Brent Celek wide open for a touchdown. What a world.

The Eagles took the field on offense yet again after Washington scored a field goal to take a three point lead.. Nothing going for Philadelphia, and Bradford left the field limping on third down.

Philadelphia's defense came up with a huge play right before the end of the third quarter. Brandon Graham stripped Jordan Reed as he was going the ground and Jordan Hicks (who else?) recovered it. Huge swing.

Washington's mistake turned into Philadelphia's fortune. Bradford, who returned to the game after getting his ankle wrapped, found Miles Austin of all people for a deep touchdown. Another gorgeous deep pass gave the Eagles the lead.

Drops on third down from Sproles and then later Matthews killed two Eagles offensive drives in the fourth quarter. Washington got the ball back and drove into field goal with two minutes left. Then into the red zone. And then Cousins hit Pierre Garcon at the goal line with 26 seconds left to give Washington the three-point lead.

Philadelphia's last-ditch effort for a miracle proved predictably unsuccessful as Bradford was sacked multiple times. Game over.


Stay tuned for much more Eagles-Redskins post-game coverage.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bleeding Green Nation Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your Philadelphia Eagles news from Bleeding Green Nation