Monday was the third day of Philadelphia Eagles training camp practice. The Eagles practiced at the newly revitalized Lincoln Financial Field in front of their fans. There's a lot to talk about, so let's dive right in.
• Military Appreciation Day at the Linc. Thank you to all of those that serve.
• Weather: I was sitting inside the press box during practice but it was a pretty nice day outside.
• Quick injury report: Chris Polk (?), Riley Cooper (?), Julian Vandervelde (?), Bennie Logan (hamstring) all didn't practice. Cooper had a helmet on unlike the other three.
• Punter Donnie Jones and long snapper Jon Dorenbos caught a few passes from Eagles quarterback during a QB/pass catcher drill. Jones has surprisingly good hands.
• More intense Eagles QB/receiver drill but no coverage: Jeremy Maclin made a sweet one-handed catch on a Mark Sanchez pass thrown behind him. Jeff Maehl, Ifeanyi Momah, and tight end Trey Burton all dropped a pass. RB Matthew Tucker dropped three passes.
• Mychal Kendricks almost had the first interception of Eagles training camp off of a G.J. Kinne pass. The pass went through his hands though so no dice.
• Kicker competition update: Didn't see Alex Henery miss a kick: 5/5. His longest distance from was 50. Carey Spear (Murderleg) had one from about 45 or so that went wide right: 4/5. Spear nailed his 50 yard kick right down the middle. Henery kicked a ball out of the end zone for a touchback on two of his kickoffs. Spear's kicks made it into the end zone but not as deep as Henery's did.
• Jeff Maehl took reps with the first group in place of Riley Cooper. Damion Square filled in for starting nose tackle Bennie Logan.
• Outside linebacker Bryan Braman lined up over slot wide receivers at times with a safety (often Davon Morgan) behind him. Just like how the Eagles line up Connor Barwin. Rookie OLB Marcus Smith II did something similar later when he started a play lined up on the edge and then motioned out to the WR split wide. Smith II is now running with the second team more often than he did in the spring when he played on the third team.
• Earl Wolff made the play of the day on defense. Mark Sanchez threw a great ball deep down the sideline to Arrelious Benn but Wolff made a diving leap to knock it down. It took quite the effort to break up that play because, as I just said, it was a well-thrown pass.
• Long-shot wide receiver B.J. Cunningham jumped high to catch a deep touchdown pass in coverage from Matt Barkley which excited the crowd with some "oooooooh" sounds. In response ,Cunningham broke out a little TD celebration. Fellow long-shot wide receiver Ifeanyi Momah also had a big play along the sideline where he fought off tight coverage from a defensive back and used his size to make the play. That's some Momah didn't do last year.
• LeSean McCoy had an active day. His biggest highlight came when he juked Connor Barwin out of his shoes in the backfield. McCoy also hauled in a number of catches from Foles.
• Brent Celek dropped a pass today. And yesterday. And quite often in training camp. Despite this perceived struggle with drops, Celek had the best catch rate among NFL tight ends last season (minimum 50% snaps). He caught 32 passes on 47 targets and had 3 drops.
• The Eagles started an 11 on 11 drill with the first team up and Darren Sproles in the backfield. Sproles made a catch out of the backfield and gain 8 yards or so. Then the Eagles brought McCoy onto the field and Sproles lined up in the slot. Sproles immediately turned to catch after the ball was hiked and he had a wide receiver blocking out in front of him but the pass from Foles was a little too far in front.
• Jordan Matthews has had a relatively quiet camp so far. It's not that he's been bad... it's just that the ball hasn't been thrown his way so much. That changed today when Matthews caught three straight passes from Sanchez. After practice was over Matthews received huge cheers from fans as he walked off the field. Instant fan favorite.
• Not a bad day by Nick Foles but he did have a shaky series near the end of practice. Along with that missed pass to Sproles he also had a pass deflected off the hand of Malcolm Jenkins. Jenkins has been pretty active when it comes to breaking up passes.
• Another good day for Matt Barkley. I can't recall any bad throws from the second year quarterback. One of his best throws fell incomplete because running back Matthew Tucker seemed to lose track of the ball while running a wheel route. Barkley's improvement has been encouraging.
• FIGHT: Jeremy Maclin vs. Bradley Fletcher. Second fight of Eagles training camp. More info here.
Up next: No practice tomorrow! Off day. The Eagles return to action at the NovaCare Complex on Wednesday, July 30th.
Remaining Eagles training camp schedule:
August 3rd (Public Practice @ LFF)
August 10th (Public Practice @ Franklin Field)
August 12th (@ New England Patriots)
August 13th (@ New England Patriots)
August 14th (@ New England Patriots)
* = Media only allowed to watch the first 20 minutes of practice starting August 17th.