The Philadelphia Eagles are 5-1 and are coming off a much-needed bye week. In Week 8, the team will travel to Arizona to face the Cardinals in what has been one of the more talked about match-ups of the season. The Eagles and Cardinals have some bad blood dating back to last season and their rivalry goes all the way back to the 1930's.
Follow @BrandonGowton Follow @mike_e_kaye
The Eagles are chasing the Cowboys for the division lead and are facing a tough task. The Cardinals are also 5-1 and have the lead in the NFC West with a very talented defense and an emerging offense. The Eagles will need to channel their performance against the Giants to take home a win in a stadium where they have a long history of failures.
Date: October 26, 2014
Time: 4:05 PM ET
Announcers: Chris Myers, Ronde Barber and Jennifer Hale
Location: University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona
NFL Network replay: Tuesday, October 28 at 1:00 PM EST
NFL Game Pass offers live online broadcasts to users outside the USA.
Sirius 137 (Internet 823)
Local radio: 94 WIP
Per OddsShark, the Cardinals are the favorites. Here's our advice.
Arizona Cardinals -1
Over/under: 48 points
The Eagles and Cardinals have met 117 times dating back to 1935. In those contests (including three postseason games), the Eagles are 55-57-5. The series is split over the last ten games and the Eagles are 2-3 in the last five matchups. The Eagles have not won a game in Arizona since 2001 when the Cardinals still played at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. The Eagles and Cardinals met last season, which ended in a Philadelphia 24-21 win at Lincoln Financial Field.
Bleeding Green Nation's complete coverage of the game can be found here.
5 Questions with Revenge of the Birds | 5 Questions with Bleeding Green Nation
Why the Cardinals will lose | Why the Eagles will lose
More: Eagles vs Cardinals coverage
Check out Revenge of the Birds for the Arizona perspective on Sunday's game.
NFL Injury Report
OUT: WR Brad Smith (groin)
QUESTIONABLE: RB Darren Sproles (knee), ILB Mychal Kendricks (calf), C Jason Kelce (hernia)
PROBABLE: ILB DeMeco Ryans (groin), RB Chris Polk (hamstring), CB Jaylen Watkins (wrist)
Cardinals injury report
OUT: TE Troy Niklas (ankle)
QUESTIONABLE: DE Calais Campbell (knee)
PROBABLE: S Rashad Johnson (knee), WR John Brown (ankle), DE Frostee Rucker (calf)
- The Eagles and Cardinals first matchup was at Wrigley Field in November 1935. The Cardinals originated in Chicago and moved to St. Louis in the 1960's before heading to Arizona in 1988. Due to the team's constant relocation, they were still in the NFC East until the league-wide realignment in 2001.
- Eagles inside linebacker Emmanuel Acho's older brother Sam plays for the Cardinals. A 2011 fourth round pick, Sam Acho has collected 104 tackles, 12 sacks, three interceptions and an outstanding seven forced fumbles in four seasons. The Achos played together at Texas and Sam is just two years older than Emmanuel.
- Current Eagles defensive coordinator Billy Davis worked for the Cardinals from 2007-2010. He was initially the linebackers coach but was promoted to defensive coordinator in 2009.
- In last season's matchup, Nick Foles competed 61.8-percent of his passes for 237 passing yards and three passing touchdowns. He also rushed nine times for 22 rushing yards.
- Against the Cardinals in 2013, LeSean McCoy rushed 19 times for 79 rushing yards and caught five passes for 36 receiving yards.
- Linebacker Trent Cole sacked Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer twice and forced a fumble in the 2013 matchup.
- LeSean McCoy (5,895) needs just 101 rushing yards to surpass Brian Westbrook (5,995) as the team's second all-time leading rusher.
- Current Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles served the same role for the Eagles for much of the 2012 season. He was initially hired as the defensive backs coach but was promoted when Juan Castillo was fired mid-season.
- Eagles West and Rockbar Inc. will be hosting a special Eagles pep rally on Saturday from 2 p.m. until close in Scottsdale. The event will feature giveaways, merchandise, drink specials, stuff for the family and hundreds of Eagles fans. BGN's own Mike Kaye and Dan Klausner will be in attendance, as will PhilaDelhia and other popular vloggers and special guests.
NFL Week 8 Writer's Predictions | NFL Week 8 Picks Against the Spread
NFL Schedule 2014
Eagles 2014 Schedule | Cardinals 2014 Schedule
Former Eagles on the Other Sideline
OG Paul Fanaika (2009 7th round pick of the Eagles, cut during off-season)