Carmichael was a current member of the Houston Texans' practice squad. The Eagles now have to guarantee three weeks of salary for Carmichael, as is standard practice for signing a practice squad player to an active roster
Carmichael played his college football at Virgina Tech. The Texans drafted him with a fourth round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Roc would spend his 2011 season on injured reserve before playing in six games for the Texans in 2012.
Jordan Ranaan of NJ.com reports that the Eagles tried to sign Carmichael weeks ago. He was probably a target for Philly as teams cut down their rosters to the 53 man limit.
No corresponding roster move has been announced at this team. The Eagles will have to release one player to make room for Carmichael since they are currently at the 53 limit.
Update: The Eagles put Brandon Hughes on short-term injured reserve to make room for Carmichael.
To make room for Carmichael, Brandon Hughes placed on short-term IR.— Tim McManus (@Tim_McManus) September 18, 2013
Update: More clarification on Hughes' roster status
Eagles clarify that Brandon Hughes was placed on short-term IR not IR with designation for return. Hughes will be a free agent once healthy.— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) September 18, 2013
More from Bleeding Green Nation:
- Which Kansas City Chiefs player would Philadelphia Eagles fans take?
- The Linc - Chip Kelly has great respect for Andy Reid
- Eagles-Chiefs injury report: Bradley Fletcher on track to start Thursday
- Former Eagles News: LBs Omar Gaither and Jamar Chaney sign with the Falcons
- Kansas City Chiefs Defensive Coordinator Bob Sutton talks defending Eagles offense