The New England Patriots were in town again today for another joint practice with the Eagles. Practice was moved up to 10:25 AM from it's usual time of 12:30 in order to avoid the rain later in the day. Let's get to today's notes.
• Surprise, surprise. Tom Brady was awesome again. I think I only saw him throw 2 incompletions the whole practice.. I won't get into it much as I did yesterday, but it's truly a sight to see.
• EAGLES QB UPDATE: The winner of today's Eagles QB competition was... Tom Brady. OK, wishful thinking. The guy who looked like he had the upper hand today was Nick Foles. He made a few impressive throws, including some where he scrambled away from pressure and threw the ball on the run.
• Lots of media celebrity in attendance today. Jay Glazer, one of the best NFL insiders when it comes to breaking news, was there. I caught him spending time talking to Eagles GM Howie Roseman. Feel free to speculate. Another NFL insider, and a guy that I definitely didn't see talk to Howie Roseman, was everyone's favorite reporter: Jason LaCanfora. Former Eagles HC Dick Vermeil was also at practice. Former players Darwin Walker and AJ Feeley were there too.
You can't say Chip Kelly's Eagles aren't drawing attention.
• TE Zach Ertz had a number of catches. I only noticed one drop for him. Ertz didn't show off anything flashy today, but proved to be a reliable target.
• WR DeSean Jackson had a good practice. Caught balls all over the field and roasted Patriots DBs several times.
• I've already talked about how Chris Polk has had a great training camp. Some even think he can be the number 2 running back behind LeSean McCoy. Polk took the reps with the 1's, for what it's worth, with McCoy resting today. And he didn't fail to impress with a couple of big runs. Mark it down - Chris Polk will make plays this year if he continues to perform like he has in training camp.
• CB Curtis Marsh had a rough day. He was targeted again and again by Patriots QBs (mostly Brady, but Ryan Mallett too) and allowed catch after catch. Note that there's no real pressure in these drills and that Brady is one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game. Still, it was a discouraging performance from Marsh. It's not like he's a guy who's had a bad camp though. He's had some nice days. But he's certainly a guy who could use a good preseason.
• NA BROWN AWARD ALERT: WR Greg Salas made an incredible jumping one handed catch deep down the sideline from Matt Barkley. Mike profiled Salas here on the site recently. A Patriots fan pointed out to Jimmy and me on Twitter that the Patriots had invested interest in Salas when he was in New England. In fact, they raised his salary to $465,001 up from $149,600 when he was on NE's practice squad. Salas has a real chance to make the Eagles roster.
HC Chip Kelly
• Chip said he hasn't named a starter for Friday's preseason game yet. He said Friday's starter isn't necessarily "the starter" for the regular season.
• Chip said that they can use running backs and tight ends more to alleviate the burden of wide receivers in the offense (due to WR injuries).
• "On gameday, we're probably only going to have 5 [wide receivers]."
• Observation: Chip was wearing grey socks. Use this information as needed.
QB Michael Vick - (Media huddle video!)
• I'll be honest. Look at the video. I didn't even bother with the giant huddle.
QB Nick Foles
• Foles said he has no indication at this point who will start Friday's game.
• Foles was rocking these shoes today. Check 'em out.
• Did not practice: Nate Mankin (illness), Ed Wang (knee), Antonio Dixon (hamstring), Jason Peters (hamstring), Dennis Kelly (back).
• Left practice early: LeSean McCoy (knee), Cary Williams (hamstring), Russell Shepard (hamstring), Damaris Johnson (hamstring), Felix Jones (hamstring).
• Arrelious Benn was officially placed on Injured Reserve with a torn ACL.
Up next: Just a Eagles-Patriots walk-through practice tomorrow because it's the day before gameday (Friday!). I might not be able to attend, but don't worry because there will still be coverage here at BGN.
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter for more Eagles training camp updates.