Chip Kelly spoke to the media prior to Monday's last open training camp practice and announced that the Philadelphia Eagles starters will not be playing on Thursday night against the New York Jets in the preseason finale.
This is typically how the fourth preseason game works. Without the starters playing, the coaching staff gets a chance to evaluate some of the depth players on their roster. Guys on the roster bubble are fighting for jobs before the last cut takes place on August 31st (5 PM EST).
Chip noted that while most of the starters won't play it's likely some starters in the Eagles secondary will have to see time. This is simply due to a lack of depth in the secondary. Chip made it sound like Patrick Chung won't play, however. Chung has a starting safety job locked up.
Nick Foles will start at QB for the Eagles. He should play a decent amount of time until Matt Barkley takes over. Barkley should see significant reps as well.
More from Bleeding Green Nation:
- Philadelphia Eagles Training Camp 2013 Notes & Quotes - Monday 8/26/2013
- Mark Sanchez injury will give Eagles' an extended look at Geno Smith on Thursday
- Looking at the Eagles' roster following first cuts
- The Linc - Eagles cut the roster down to 76
- Eagles cut linebacker Jamar Chaney after three seasons of up-and-down play