The Eagles returned to the NovaCare Complex for training camp practice. Here are things I saw today.
• Neither Michael Vick nor Nick Foles had an overly impressive day.
• Practice started with tackling drills.
• Vick handed off to WR Ifeanyi Momah on an end-around play. He gained about a yard or two at most. It wasn't very successful. Later in practice Momah dropped a very catchable ball. His chances of making the team aren't very good.
• Greg Salas continues to be Greg Salas.
• GJ Kinne lines up all over the place during practice. Today he was practicing fielding punts. It's likely only keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster, but I think there's a place for 1 on the practice squad. Maybe Kinne could be that guy because of his willingness to line up anywhere in practice.
• Rookie Safety Earl Wolff saw reps with the first team defense today next to Patrick Chung. This is something that Eagles Insider Dave Spadaro hinted about last night on Howard Eskin's FOX29 sports show. Chung had a nice performance against the Patriots and is probably locked in to be a starter. The other spot is up for grabs and Wolff is a contender for it.
• A CFL scout from the Ottawa Redblacks and another from the Saskatchewan Roughriders were in attendance. Don't be surprised to see your favorite fringe Eagles player end up in the CFL on one of these teams one day.
DC Bill Davis
• I noted on Twitter that, after hearing Bill Davis speak a few times in person now, he's a really well spoken guy. He seems intelligent and thoughtful. What ultimately matters most for the Eagles is that Bill Davis is good at his job and gets his defenses to play well, not how he talks. But it's still nice to know, for what it's worth.
• Davis said they will definitely use Brandon Boykin on the outside as well as the nickel CB.
• Davis said the tackle drills the Eagles did today would have taken place regardless of how Eagles tackled vs the Patriots. He indicated it's a scheduled, regular part of practice.
• "You become a feared defense by playing great defense, not through words and talking tough."
• Davis once again indicated the Eagles are moving towards a 3-4 scheme but he isn't sure if they will be able to make the full transition yet.
• Davis downplayed the fact that Wolff was starting at S today. He said it was just his turn in the rotation.
• Did not practice: RB Bryce Brown (quad), LS Jon Dorenbos (concussion), OLB Phillip Hunt (knee), ILB Casey Matthews (knee), OT Jason Peters (hamstring), OT Ed Wang (knee), OT Dennis Kelly (back), S Kenny Phillips (quad).
• Peters didn't practice with the team but did some individual drills for the second straight day.
• OG Danny Watkins was not listed on the pre-practice injury report but he didn't practice. It was reported he arrived at the facility today with headaches and it turns out he has a concussion.
• OT Lane Johnson didn't practice again because of the birth of his son on Saturday. He will return to action tomorrow.
Up next: Another practice tomorrow.
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter for more training camp updates.